• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

skyking1

No picture, but a co-worker of my wife has jumped into the RV thing with both feet. They purchased a brand new 34' 5th wheel, and plan to tow it with a Toyota Tundra. It takes a village of salesmen.
The RV salesman says you can take your 34' 5th wheel anywhere, national parks state parks. No!
Rainier's campgrounds are 27' max, same with Olympic National Park. Most older campgrounds are going to be severely limited.
The 2022 Tundra has a tow rating of 12,000 pounds, and a payload capacity of up to 1940 pounds.
The RV has a dry hitch weight of 1255, and gross weight of 11455.
They paid an extra grand to have the dealership show them how to use the RV too. :facepalm:

Thankfully my darling wife is able to separate her work people from us. This is a crapshow I want no part of .

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
No picture, but a co-worker of my wife has jumped into the RV thing with both feet. They purchased a brand new 34' 5th wheel, and plan to tow it with a Toyota Tundra. It takes a village of salesmen.
The RV salesman says you can take your 34' 5th wheel anywhere, national parks state parks. No!
Rainier's campgrounds are 27' max, same with Olympic National Park. Most older campgrounds are going to be severely limited.
The 2022 Tundra has a tow rating of 12,000 pounds, and a payload capacity of up to 1940 pounds.
The RV has a dry hitch weight of 1255, and gross weight of 11455.
They paid an extra grand to have the dealership show them how to use the RV too. :facepalm:

Thankfully my darling wife is able to separate her work people from us. This is a crapshow I want no part of .
We bought a tow behind in 2001. That first was 6000 Gross. It didn't work for us, we traded that same year for an ultralite with two slides. It weighs 6050 Gross. I tow with a 6 liter 2013 Chevy 2500 van with 4 wheel drive conversion. Tow rating is 10,000, but I think reduced a bit for 4 wheel drive.

Early in our outings we met a couple with 8000 LB gross fifth wheel they towed with a stick shift 4 cylinder Toyota Tacoma. He said they had been to Alaska. Never first to the top of the hill, but they always made it.
That is NOT something I would try.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Those pretty good size Toyota motorhomes, Dolphin I think some of them were called, I always wondered what kind of chassis Toyota made for them. Some of them predated the T100 even.

Truck Shop

My Idea of a vacation-Bandon Ore with a motel room above the cliffs with small kitchen and fireplace.
Go to Bandon Fisheries buy some fresh Halibut pickup some french bread and salad have a good dinner
by the sea. And sleep in a building that doesn't rock when the wind blows.

dieseldog5.9

I have 2 favorite camping spots.

Falls Campground- Route 26 Wyoming
Queets Campground - Never getting a 5th wheel in there.
Matole Beach Campground- Lost Coast California

skyking1

wow you are out west for a back easter!
I had our little 5th wheel into Albee Creek campground on the Mattole road, but left it there to do the lost coast loop.

dieseldog5.9

Add Jekyll Island Georgia, and Denali Alaska and yes we put some miles on, which is why the camper is light, and the horsepower high.:)

Sequoias this year fingers crossed

Actually my avatar is my dog sticking his head out the window somewhere near Hope Alaska.