• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I hauled home 1600 gallons of water on the back of my semi on Friday on a flatbed I built for the rig, lets see any 1 ton diesel haul that home in the back of their truck or the average trailer one hauls with.
1 gallon = 8.34 lbs x 1600 gallons = 13,334 lbs plus empty semi 20k lbs equals 33 to 34k lbs loaded.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I hauled home 1600 gallons of water on the back of my semi on Friday on a flatbed I built for the rig, lets see any 1 ton diesel haul that home in the back of their truck or the average trailer one hauls with.
1 gallon = 8.34 lbs x 1600 gallons = 13,334 lbs plus empty semi 20k lbs equals 33 to 34k lbs loaded.

Weight wise, I was right there as to load with the Chevy!! was somewhere close to 26-28 at least well over 24k just on a pickup and gooseneck.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I had to use a Ford service truck one time that had a 460 in it. Two tanks of fuel at about 18 gallons each. Used the first tank to get from Kent to Aberdeen. The second tank got me up into the hills above Tokeland. Worked all night on the head lights and running the engine to keep the battery from going dead. Had just enough fuel to coast into a gas station back in Aberdeen at 4:00 AM. Put one of those engines on a stand in the desert and I would pay to shoot holes in it with a 50 BMG.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
We used to run little 4x4 fire trucks as a contractor in Oregon. Had one with that same setup, and the back gas gauge was broken. When we would get a fire assignment in the middle of the night and have to travel across the desert, Burns or Lakeview, John Day area, we were sweating bullets that that thing would make it to wherever we were going. Because as you know in Oregon, you cannot pump your own gas, so in the boondocks that mostly means no gas is available at night.

suladas

Haven't put quite that much on my pickup, but I did put 4 pallets of sod on it, I was about 20,000lbs, empty without my toolboxes and slip tank truck is about 10,000lbs. The only time the 5500 actually rode good! Amazing how it handled the weight though, starting and stopping you didn't know it had anything on it, the only difference I noticed was cornering a tiny bit of sway.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
I had to use a Ford service truck one time that had a 460 in it. Two tanks of fuel at about 18 gallons each. Used the first tank to get from Kent to Aberdeen. The second tank got me up into the hills above Tokeland. Worked all night on the head lights and running the engine to keep the battery from going dead. Had just enough fuel to coast into a gas station back in Aberdeen at 4:00 AM. Put one of those engines on a stand in the desert and I would pay to shoot holes in it with a 50 BMG.
Last place I worked had a F450 with the same setup. What a jalopy, a long hill would put you into 4th gear or maybe 3rd and have the floor hot enough to burn your feet.

Truck Shop

The 429 was a real runner, It had intake ports that flowed, the CJ429 a jumbo egg would easily fit the intake ports. But those were 10.5 and 11.1
compression engines. The 460 on the other hand was low compression, poor cylinder heads, and very lousy intake manifold. The 460 was designed
to move a slug of a car {the Continental with 2.90/3.00 gears}. It was and is a slug in stock form. The best engine for a pickup that Ford never
put in a pickup was the {open chamber 351 Cleveland one tough engine that put out 335 horses and more torque in a useable range plus better
fuel mileage than any boat anchor 460. The Cleveland with just bolt on accessories could produce 400 hp. The engine Nascar band.

skyking1

Or the 360 2 barrels of oil boat anchor. FIL had an original 1968? F250 with that one. We had the option of keeping it but no thanks.

Truck Shop

The 360-was a 4.050 bore 390 block de-stroked using a 3.50 stroke 352 crank. The real mutt was the
common 331 in the F600-700 series-not a rig you wanted to overload.

Last edited:

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
The 360-was a 4.050 bore 390 block de-stroked using a 3.50 stroke 352 crank. The real mutt was the
I never understood the practice of installing 200 HP gas motors in 35000 LB trucks. I had a Chevy C65 with 366. The motor would have been only adequate in a 6000 LB pickup. I changed to 427 tall block & made it barely capable of crawling up or down VT hilly highways.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
The other Ford dog was the two barrel 352 which I believe became the 360. My dad had a 1966 F250 that got about 8 MPG coasting down all the hills.
Talk about a flash back! I had a 352 in a Ford convertable, forget the model right off. About the only thing that engine was good for was disposing of gas without producing any power! Think the best milage it ever got was around 12 mpg!

Just remembered I still have the owners manual from that one, it was a 1962 Galaxie! Manual says it was rated at 220 hp at 4400 rpm! i think 200 of those horses were used to run the fuel pump!

Last edited:

Old Doug

I have a 330 f600 the FE and FT are not number one in my book but it dos ok if your not in a hurry. I dont lug it or twist it tight. I like chevys but this F600 has done a good job for what it is.