1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Overload of the Day

Discussion in 'Trucks' started by Birken Vogt, Jan 17, 2021.

1. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    Same reason I put a new trans in our '01 F250. A replacement would run $50-55K for an XL with roll up windows like this trucks has.

Now I have a '14 F250 CC 4x4 gas burner that is going on the selling block as soon as we get the '01 250 set up as a field service unit. Gave the guys a choice and they all chose the '01 7.3 over the '14 gas and the '14 has power windows and door locks.

DMiller and Spud_Monkey like this.
  2. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

If the door still closes it does not owe you a thing. That is one thing about a well seasoned truck.

Spud_Monkey, DMiller and Tarhe Driver like this.
  3. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    My C65 with flatbed dump & sideboards was something like 13500 with my pudgy body in the seat.

Spud_Monkey and DMiller like this.
  4. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    One of the extra sons is obsessed with Super Duty's He has bought a series of 10 year old trucks in the past 10 years. 5 that I can remember. He always buys a modified lifted diesel. All have given enormous levels of trouble. He finally bought a new 350 dually gas 6.2? A couple years now of trouble free use. Make a payment, use his energy for other tasks.

DMiller and skyking1 like this.
  5. petepilot

petepilot Senior Member

worst Ford's I have seen for gas milage was 2 1990 f250s the co had. 8 mpg was the best they ever got regardless. 460 autos.

6. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

I have a 1992 F-superduty (450) with the 460 and a 5speed. I get about 5mpg with it. One of my guys can get 10mpg out of it, but I never have.

DMiller likes this.
  7. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    In 87 I cleaned up a mess-I-90 between Cle Elum and Easton. 7 elk walked into the path of a east bound 4370 IH in the fog. One went over the hood
    through the windshield and died in the sleeper. Tore the steer axle loose and shoved it into the fuel tanks. Exploded the hood-only the mounts left.
    Laid the radiator back onto engine. Driver ducked and lived to tell about it-took two fire trucks to hose the road down.

DMiller likes this.
  8. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Big block gas engines were never designed for efficiency. Designed to vacuum your wallet and they do real well at that. Really it's pretty disgraceful
    what dogs and fuel guzzlers a big block really is . We have 5 three axle Freightliner Cascadia's with 520 hp DD15's that are on a constant GVW of
    80,000 lbs. that run 48 states, those five average 7.5 mpg.

Spud_Monkey, skyking1 and DMiller like this.
  9. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

That's why I am stuck with my diesel. I could not stomach that kind of fuel burn when I know what a real truck can do.

DMiller likes this.
  10. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    Fuel economy sucked headed west, 7.5 was all I got full tank from house when filled at Joplin. On way back stopped at Cuba as came off highway, topped up, was getting over 12 running 75-80.

11. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    well that only makes sense. Heading west you are driving against the rotation of the Earth going east you are going with the rotation.

Any more help needed and I'll be glad to put in my two cents! As long as you can make change for a wooden nickel!

56wrench, Old Doug, Pops52 and 7 others like this.
  12. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    One ton and below are pickups, glorified pickups at that. Trucks don't really start till 32,000 GVW. just my two cents.

59 North, kshansen, DMiller and 2 others like this.
  13. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

Real trucks in my post above are the 80,000 pound "Freightliner Cascadia's with 520 hp DD15's" getting 7.5 MPG, not my glorified pickup with the 5.9. It does the little job i ask of it but I will never tow the rated 15,000 + with it. That ratio of tractor weight to trailer should be reserved for air brakes only.
    Those are my original 2 cents :)

DMiller and Spud_Monkey like this.
  14. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    I wasn't referring to you, just making a statement.

DMiller likes this.
  15. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    But, but, but, I've heard of Ford diesels self destructing & costing $11000 to repair. Gas engines seem less often to do this.

oarwhat and DMiller like this.
  16. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    And the toilets flush opposite south of the equator than north of the equator.

kshansen and DMiller like this.
  17. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Your correct-but, but, but both are expensive problems. Any of these are only as good as the design and maintenance. And some were just
    junk to begin with.

oarwhat and DMiller like this.
  18. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    All three manufactures have gone to extremes to make there diesel dude look like a larger than life vehicle. All for marketing a big powerful
    tough job rig that mom can drive and not go over GVW with a load of soccer balls and can be used on the sly moving things too heavy.
    The modern Big Nose-Jimmy Durante

used-ford-f-350-lariat-2012-58929259_1_l.jpg

oarwhat, John C., kshansen and 5 others like this.
  19. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

My current rig is an ex-logging truck that I got from the original owner company with about 240K. They were up front about it burning oil and that was reflected in the price. I hoped to get two years out of it and it made it 20 months. :)
    It was killed by idling out there in the woods, it had way too many hours for the miles.
    BTW that is what you watch for on these quiet diesels. Idle time kills them prematurely. The oil field trucks from the Dakotas are all suspect to be junk for that reason, too damn cold out there.
    Now it is .020 over and all stock save the camshaft. Overhauled trans, new clutch, new diff gears and bearings, free spin hubs. I am into it about 17K total and hope to run it a long time.

Truck Shop, DMiller and mks like this.
  20. Bumpsteer

Bumpsteer Senior Member

Mechanical designer
    Our village idiot (long story) has a 6.0 ford....been thru injector crap and the trans failure. It"s been dead in the driveway for 2 months now.
    He's been driving his dead fil's 92 Dodge gen1 Cummins.

Enough said.

Ed