• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

Truck Shop

Highway 14 Washington side of Columbia River. The auto tunnel is a prime example of close encounters, the inside walls are marred, gouged because trucks running
through and not hugging the center line. Can be real bad when two from opposite ends try the tunnel at the same time. Near Stevens.washington_hwy14_tunnel_no2_train_no3_2005.jpg

Pops52

Occupation
Worn out lowbed driver "retired"
I don't really remember it and I don't remember seeing that picture but what I thought I remembered was an excavator hitting the bridge? That unit does not look tall enough to hit it though. Although that is a pretty high deck trailer there.
I remember the bridge strike too but it wasn’t this fellow. Even after the new overpass I think it’s still 14-11 s/b?

skyking1

I don't like the shove that the 120/20 ton tilt gives the empty dump truck. That ^ is just stupid. One little slip away from a jacknife like a spring switchblade.

Welder Dave

Chevy 2500 gasser pulling a 50series. I'm guessing that whole load is almost 18-20k. Crazy...

That looks like a staged picture when you open it in another link and enlarge it. It looks like the truck is backed up on the far side of the trailer and the trailer extends almost as far as the bumper on the side of the truck. Maybe it's an optical illusion though or my meds are playing tricks with me. :rolleyes:

hosspuller

That looks like a staged picture when you open it in another link and enlarge it. It looks like the truck is backed up on the far side of the trailer and the trailer extends almost as far as the bumper on the side of the truck. Maybe it's an optical illusion though or my meds are playing tricks with me. :rolleyes:

If you click on the posted picture, it'll open a window, Right click on the pic and save it to your computer. Then open the file and MS will allow you to enlarge the photo more.
When enlarged one can see it's a "pro series" Quality Trailer. Even see it's a pintle hitch with the crossed safety chains under it. The black painted curb of the pump station behind trailer, makes trailer appear to extend to the side of the truck

Details.. He's close... The Case CX57c operating weight is 12,270 # The "18 foot" Pro Series Quality trailer has a GVWR of 15,000 # and capacity of 13,000 #

https://www.casece.com/northamerica/en-us/products/excavators/mini-excavators/models/cx57c
https://qualitytrailersinc.com/fend...pment-trailers/15000-gvwr-professional-grade/

The Chevy ... can't tell anything.. But it's not squatting.

Last edited:

skyking1

My 3500 srw has a tow rating of 15900. That load exceeds my truck.
Airbags will fix any squat. The likely scenario is he's using the RVers method of tow rating. Add up all the side walls on the tires stay under that and you're good to go. If that doesn't work go get bigger tires :)

Welder Dave

If you click on the posted picture, it'll open a window, Right click on the pic and save it to your computer. Then open the file and MS will allow you to enlarge the photo more.
When enlarged one can see it's a "pro series" Quality Trailer. Even see it's a pintle hitch with the crossed safety chains under it. The black painted curb of the pump station behind trailer, makes trailer appear to extend to the side of the truck

Details.. He's close... The Case CX57c operating weight is 12,270 # The "18 foot" Pro Series Quality trailer has a GVWR of 15,000 # and capacity of 13,000 #

https://www.casece.com/northamerica/en-us/products/excavators/mini-excavators/models/cx57c
https://qualitytrailersinc.com/fend...pment-trailers/15000-gvwr-professional-grade/

The Chevy ... can't tell anything.. But it's not squatting.

It is an optical illusion.

Truck Shop

Fact- this thread is about ego, narcissistic behavior, sliding by the law, operating a vehicle without due care and caution, and sliding under the wire to escape proper paper work.
Fact-anyone who knowingly/or plays dumb overloads a vehicle and it's involved in a accident and DOT investigated plus insurance investigator and is found to be your fault
because the vehicle was out of GVW range on maximum load you run the risk with some insurance companies of stepping out from under any claim. The fine print must
be carefully read in a policy.

Aarons81

Fact- this thread is about ego, narcissistic behavior, sliding by the law, operating a vehicle without due care and caution, and sliding under the wire to escape proper paper work.
Fact-anyone who knowingly/or plays dumb overloads a vehicle and it's involved in a accident and DOT investigated plus insurance investigator and is found to be your fault
because the vehicle was out of GVW range on maximum load you run the risk with some insurance companies of stepping out from under any claim. The fine print must
be carefully read in a policy.

I do agree with your post, but I would venture to say that 50% of these overload situations are 100% stupidity. There's are those people out there that just bought a 1/2 ton pick up for the first time thinking they bought a tank. Most of the motor vehicle laws are in place to protect big business, namely insurance companies.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I do agree with your post, but I would venture to say that 50% of these overload situations are 100% stupidity. There's are those people out there that just bought a 1/2 ton pick up for the first time thinking they bought a tank. Most of the motor vehicle laws are in place to protect big business, namely insurance companies.
While I get angry about big fines for a taillight bulb that just blew, or snow covering a license plate, truth is these truck specific laws are to save lives. You do NOT have the right to gamble with the lives of others.
I know of several excavation companies who once ran derelict trucks & trailers. Trucks never had decent tires, poor brakes, rarely did lights work
Trailers had NONE of the required equipment functional.
These days, law enforcement are really cracking down, equipment is kept in safe condition & loads are within legal limits.

skyking1

Have a local RV park the City developed here, last week watched a GROUP of Half Tonners(GM six Lug and For Five lug) dragging in two and three axle over 35' rolling shat houses, brilliant minds think alike, so too the idiots.
I followed one such "truck" today towing a conventional RV, without tow mirrors. That is a sign for me if a driver doesn't have a problem with not seeing, pretty much all else will be bad. He was poking up the 60 MPH freeway at ~50 and clogging things up pretty good.
People are filtering around him, and I finally get behind him just as I am about to exit. Oh yeah, 50 was pushing it. That trailer was manhandling him real bad. Weave and bob, then slow down, repeat because you are too stupid to learn.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I followed one such "truck" today towing a conventional RV, without tow mirrors. That is a sign for me if a driver doesn't have a problem with not seeing, pretty much all else will be bad. He was poking up the 60 MPH freeway at ~50 and clogging things up pretty good.
People are filtering around him, and I finally get behind him just as I am about to exit. Oh yeah, 50 was pushing it. That trailer was manhandling him real bad. Weave and bob, then slow down, repeat because you are too stupid to learn.
Read the rules.
Trailers over a given weight require load equalizers & sway controls to be legally towed.
It is my opinion that truck manufacturers rate their half tons for too much trailer rating.

boaterri

Occupation
Retired Television Engineer
Have a local RV park the City developed here, last week watched a GROUP of Half Tonners(GM six Lug and For Five lug) dragging in two and three axle over 35' rolling shat houses, brilliant minds think alike, so too the idiots.

At least the RVs are not heavy so stopping would be less of a problem. Now getting used to the length/width is another story.