• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overheating 175C

OldRedFord

Having a overheating issue with my 175C.

So far I have....

Cleaned out radiator and oil cooler with compressed air through the fins

Replaced thermostat after feeling a bit difference in temp between lower (cold) and upper (hot) radiator hose. After that both hoses are same temp.

Verified temp gauge is correct with IR thermometer.

Radiator core is not leaking, hoses are not leaking, engine oil looks good.

Sure likes to run up to 230 degrees or more and im not working it that hard.

DT466B engine

First video is of the work I was doing today. Second is a overview of things.

Delmer

"readin the same temperature wise". That means your airflow through the radiator is not enough. you do have a little red dust there, even without seeing that, 90+% of ag or heavy equipment overheating is radiators plugged up with dirt, chaff. Sometimes you have to remove the radiator, sometimes you can soak it with water and dawn dish soap and keep rinsing and soaking. I've never removed a radiator and not been shocked by the blockage between two sandwiched radiators/coolers. Look through the radiator with a light on the other side to see how clean it is. Blowing with air is great for once a day cleaning, you need water at this point, garden hose is plenty of pressure, it needs to soak and not dry out in between rinsings until clean.

The oily feel to antifreeze is normal, the oily sheen doesn't concern me one bit. Can you check the concentration? pure concentrate will feel thicker than 50/50 mix, and not transfer heat as well.

I'm a little surprised at the small size of those fan blades, from here it looks like you got the Arctic Special, but it looks factory? so it should be fine. Take more temps of the engine, thermostat housing going to the radiator, and water pump inlet coming from the radiator when it's over 210. That will tell what's going on.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Lower Pressure washing not just rinsing will make a determined change if any dirt/oil buildup on exterior of core.