• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overheated

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
The reservoir I ordered turned out not to be in stock. They called me yesterday and said there was one available but it will be delayed a few days.

I might drain it down and pull the thermostat while I wait. I'm pretty sure the one I used didn't have the plate in the bottom like the one shown for it. I might go ahead and get a 160 of the correct design.

I also need to figure how to adapt my pressure tester so I can check for leaks.

I just need to pay more attention to the gauges when I'm working.

Delmer

If you put a switch with a warning, go higher than 195. at least 220 if you're running 50/50 antifreeze will be plenty of warning. If you have an overflow hose on the radiator cap, you can blow air back through that hose, the thermostat is designed to allow the coolant to suck back the overflow. Or hook to a regulated air supply.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
No word on the tank so I assume the dealer ordered it from New Holland and will ship it when they receive it.

I drained a couple of gallons out and put a new thermostat in today. Antifreeze was right up to the hose that connects to the reservoir so if it has any leaks it is under pressure. The tank has a large hose that goes from the bottom of the tank to the bottom of the radiator. It also has a bleed hose that goes from the filler neck to the top of the radiator. I can tee my pressure tester into that small hose to check it when the tank is installed.

The cap has a 90* nipple on top for over pressure exhaust. I think I will connect a hose to that and stick it out the top of the cowl. That way if it overheats again it will shoot antifreeze right up on the windshield. That is basically what it did with the hole in the top of the tank.

Had to pull the air filter housing to get the tank out. O'Rielly's had a tank that was close but no cigar so I sure hope the dealer comes through.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Messick's is showing 3 in stock @ $53.30, including the $18.55 cap. 3 in stock for a 20+ year old machine tells me it either fits a lot of machines, or they are troublesome.

How did the thermostat look/test?

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
When I looked Messics showed zero in stock and I'm pretty sure they listed a higher price. Weird!

Thermostat looked fine but I didn't test it. I stuck a 160 in.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
That is weird!

I am guessing that the thermostat you got was an aftermarket tstat?? I don't see any choices at Messick's for different temperatures.
imageview.ashx

Attachments

• nh-192727-366899-3484080.pdf
    179.9 KB · Views: 2

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Yes, I matched up dimensions at O'Reilly's. Stock is 180 I think.

I was changing coolant in my John Deere this year and found out 160 was stock on it.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I want the hottest thermostat I can buy. Lots of engine problems are the result of water contaminating oil. Each time you run your engine above 200 degree F there is SOME benefit of evaporating a portion of the water there. A 160 degree thermostat begins to cool at about 160. A 200 degree begins to cool at 200. Once either opens, there is no difference in the cooling rate.

I'm sure that failed thermostats have happened. I bet 90% of overheat issues were NOT the fault of the thermostat & the opening temperature of a thermostat has NEVER caused an overheat.

Engines want to be hot. 200 -220 is happy temperature for a healthy engine.

56wrench

true, but the cooling system has to be able to withstand the pressure of approx. 15psi with those temperatures unlike the old systems that only used about a 7 - 10psi system. sometimes the rad cap gets overlooked when diagnosing cooling system problems

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
NH575E,
Did the tank come, and if so, did you get the problem sorted out?

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
USPS Priority from Rochester IN. to N. FL. They didn't get it until Thursday and shipped it out Friday. I guess they ordered it in on a stock order to save shipping. They only charged $9.64 to ship so there's that.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Almost missed it. Damn USPS employee scanned it as delivered to a neighbor instead of leaving it at my gate like my normal contract carrier would. I have informed delivery set up so I got an email with the bogus excuse as soon as it was scanned. I tracked her down a few miles up the road and questioned her about it. She said OH, I have that in the truck. When I questioned her about why it was scanned as delivered to a neighbor she claimed she did it by mistake.

I took a copy of the notice along with a image from my dash camera of her handing me the package to the supervisor. The image showed the back of the truck with it's ID number. He seemed pretty uninterested but claimed he would talk to her.

Last week I had a weekend Amazon package delivery that got scanned as undeliverable because they couldn't access my front door. The package was not labeled requiring a signature and in fact said to leave if no answer right on the label. It ended up floating around for 3 more days before it got back to me.

Our regular contract carrier is very reliable and trustworthy. The USPS employees, NOT SO MUCH!

SO at least I got my tank and I can install it tomorrow.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
LOL...really not funny but it is laugh or cry!
I can imagine soon businesses will advertise that they do NOT ship USPS in order to get more sales. I mean if you had a choice of Fedex or UPS over USPS, and say it cost $2 more for those carriers, I bet you would jump on it...I would for sure!

Hopefully all will be good!!

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Almost missed it. Damn USPS employee scanned it as delivered to a neighbor instead of leaving it at my gate like my normal contract carrier would. I have informed delivery set up so I got an email with the bogus excuse as soon as it was scanned. I tracked her down a few miles up the road and questioned her about it. She said OH, I have that in the truck. When I questioned her about why it was scanned as delivered to a neighbor she claimed she did it by mistake.

I took a copy of the notice along with a image from my dash camera of her handing me the package to the supervisor. The image showed the back of the truck with it's ID number. He seemed pretty uninterested but claimed he would talk to her.

Last week I had a weekend Amazon package delivery that got scanned as undeliverable because they couldn't access my front door. The package was not labeled requiring a signature and in fact said to leave if no answer right on the label. It ended up floating around for 3 more days before it got back to me.

Our regular contract carrier is very reliable and trustworthy. The USPS employees, NOT SO MUCH!

SO at least I got my tank and I can install it tomorrow.
My gripe was United Parcel Service. I had a major project in a replacement of a generator transfer, new service, and 100 amp feeder to an outbuilding. The owner had his heart set on using a meter socket new in box, his deceased father had likely stolen from his employer 20 years ago. It came without a hub. There were none to be found locally, so it was shipped from a wholesaler in Maine. It was supposed to come directly to me.

Weeks later, I was getting desperate. Nobody seemed to know where it was. Repeated calls, being on hold hours each time, only to be told by UPS that it was delivered weeks ago. I finally pieced together that there were minor deviations from the address provided.

I live in a town too small for a post office. Computers move me to the nearest town with a post office. 693 Brooklyn Road Mount Tabor VT Became 69 Brooklyn road Danby. I asked for exact address as it appeared on the package.

There is no Brooklyn Road in Danby. The computer flips them to anything with Brook.

Danby has Baker Brook Road, Brook Road, Herrick Brook Road, Flower brook Road, Brook Road, I'm sure I've missed a few Brooks.

As my package shows in UPS tracking as "delivered" I begin my local search.

All UPS drivers deliver to me often. My wife, MORE OFTEN. My son, even more often! Drivers know that Mount Tabor is a different town, street names from Danby won't work in Mount Tabor, or vice versa. 100% of the drivers know me & where I am.

69 Brook Road Danby is a swimming hole in a brook. 69 Baker Brook is a fishing hole in a brook. 69 Herrick Brook is swamp land. 69 Flower Brook Road is steep stream, near a waterfall.

When I present all this to the "lady" at UPS, she says "I'm sorry SIR, it was delivered to you."

I ultimately found it hidden behind a porch post at 51 Brook Road Danby VT, a house vacant since 1982.

Last edited:

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Looks like my machine is back to okay. I worked it a while this afternoon and the temp gauge stayed right on 1/4. I checked with a infrared thermometer when I got back to the barn and the thermostat housing was reading 160 and the lower radiator tank was at 148.

The replacement tank is a poor quality light weight POS. Not what you would expect for a pressure tank. The neck and threads are deformed and make threading the cap on straight a real chore. When I pressure tested it I had to loosen the cap and tighten it back tighter than I should have to to stop hearing leakage. The fitting for the small hose has molding ridges that required tightening the hose clamp tighter than I should have to to get it to seal. I hung on to the old tank in case this one fails so I can use it as a template to make one.

IMG_2539.JPG

IMG_2538.JPG

I drilled a hole in the cowl and attached a hose to the fitting on top of the cap that I ran out there. In the future if it overheats for any reason other than loss of coolant it will shoot the antifreeze straight up in my line of sight. I probably won't make the mistake of running it long without checking the gauge again though.

IMG_2540.JPG

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
NH575E,
Thanks for the update! I am glad to hear that you didn't hurt the engine...I didn't think you would, if it had an aluminum head, well, that might have been another story.
Glad you got it back to work too!

Not so happy to hear that the new part was cheesy...I have not seen that in the past when purchasing OEM NH parts.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I gave it a good workout this morning. The temp gauge got a little over the halfway point. I shot it as soon as I got back to the barn and the thermostat housing was at 197F. In just a few seconds it dropped below 190F. I assume it got over 200F while I was working it. The bottom radiator tank was reading 167F.

The coolant level remained at the max line and it didn't show any signs of boiling. It's nice having a tank that is clear enough to see the coolant level. In the past I had to stick the hydrometer in to see if I could reach any coolant.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Were those temp numbers with the engine running.?
197 to 167 is very high, even 190 to 167 is a suspiciously high difference for a radiator in good condition.
The max temp difference you ought to see between top & bottom of radiator is 12-15 deg. It appears as though you may have a lack-of-flow issue somewhere.