• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overhead cranes

lapoderosa7

hi there! do u know the difference between a Gantry crane and an overhead crane? overhead crane is more a general type of cranes, isnt it? tx,

lowbed driver

Overhead cranes run on tracks that are up in the air on a building or held up with their own structure. A gantry is a crane that runs on its own wheels on tracks and some on rubber tires that are steerable. Cheers Lowbedder

Knocker of rock

Most simply, overhead has the rails ay an elevated height. Gantry has the wheels, rails or rollers at ground height.

Variations and hybrids exist

Attachments

• gantry-cranes.jpg
    gantry-cranes.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 584
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 573
Last edited:

lapoderosa7

hi! wow, thanks for the swift and accurate replies, very appreciated, now it is pretty clear thanks to you!

catkicker

Occupation
Crane Operator
Never thought I would need NCCCO certs to run one of these. But I'm not one to pass good money up.

Cgmachineryvn

Occupation
CEO
Wow, i have other simple explation: Overhead crane is for differentiate with suspension crane. Meanwhile, gantry crane is gantry which can move similar to overhead crane, suspension crane but it has two legs, running on the ground. It is very simple to search these pictures on google.
You can also visit website http://cgmachinery.com.vn/ to check out the differences.

cranes101

In addition to the comments above; the gantry design is typically found in outdoor applications primarily due to the absence of a building and runway structure. A building is not needed because the gantries legs and wheels. You can still have a gantry crane run on a floor based rail system using steel wheels, or the gantry can run directly on the ground or smooth floor using urethane wheels. There is also another crane design commonly referred to as a semi-gantry. This design has one end of the bridge running along an elevated runway system (like an overhead travelling crane normally would) and the opposite end of the bridge has a leg and wheel assembly. See Picture Below:

Semi Gantry.jpg

trombeur

in a nautical shop use this gantry crane built by hand for maintenance and storage of the hulls of boats, the structure is made of steel beam with swivel wheels to which hangs a common manual chain hoist
What do you think of this realization DIYDSCN3476.JPG
DSCN3473.JPG DSCN3473.JPG DSCN3474.JPG DSCN3475.JPG

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Years ago we used to erect what was then called gantry cranes on buildings to remove the tower cranes after the building was up. Oftn back then the towers came up thru the high rise instead of along side as is common today. They usually had only a small swing radius to lift the tower crane pieces and them set them down over the building edge. The gantries were made to hand tear down and bring down the elevators. Later they called them stiff leg gantrys which I felt was a more accurate discription. They resembled a small rock quarry stiff leg but tied to the building steel instead of guy wire supports.

trombeur

la gru si menzionato credo che il suo nome Derrick, o gin pole mi sbaglio? I è usato come supporto nei trapani trapani, se mi sbaglio chiedo di correggere me vi ringrazio per l'attenzione

Cargo%2BBoom.gif
image195.gif

derrick4.jpg

1949-8-25-L.jpg

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Newer looking but they were a lot like the bottom picture, but electric powered. We even used one that in order to swing we had to turn a crank thru gearing. No boom up or down, just set the boom angle during erection and that was the boom angle. The winch drum with enough 1/2" line to 4 part it to the bottom of a 20 story building was the biggest piece by far. The structural engineers would design the attachment points into the building steel.

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
Went to get a picture but it was sold at a surplus sale 2 years ago. We jut welded I beam about a foot away from wheels and left 1in off floor.