• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overfill!

What happens to running overfilled hydraulic fluid?

• Hydraulic problems

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing too serious

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Rukus907

How can I explain to the owner that this is a bit overkill on hydraulic fluid? I am no expert but there is a "full" line for a reason. Can I get some help on explaining what happens if he runs his CAT D4G dozer like this regularly(which he does)?

Attachments

• 20230207_164202.jpg
    20230207_164202.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44

crane operator

The only problem I've had with a overfilled hydraulic tank, is that in hot weather it will expand enough to burp it out the breather. Which is really no big deal. If the tank was hot when you took the picture, Its probably right on the money when cool.

Welder Dave

As long as it's not coming back out the breather or filler neck it doesn't matter. It might only be a gallon or so to raise the level that much in the sight glass.

.RC.

I did not think you could over fill them, because the filler tube goes way into the tank, so when filling the oil comes out well before the tank is anywhere near full.

seville009

My hydraulic tank in my skidsteer is over the full mark, but all of my cylinders are retracted. If they were all fully extended and it was over the “full” mark, I’d take some out…..

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
My hydraulic tank in my skidsteer is over the full mark, but all of my cylinders are retracted. If they were all fully extended and it was over the “full” mark, I’d take some out…..
Unless you have some one way cylinders on your skidsteer it won't matter, two way cylinders are full on both sides of the piston when in use. I've never found an over filled hydraulic system reservoir to be a problem other than the oil can get pushed out when it expands under heat. Now the engine is a different story, to much oil there can get whipped up by the crank and make foam that can cause lube issues.

seville009

Unless you have some one way cylinders on your skidsteer it won't matter, two way cylinders are full on both sides of the piston when in use. I've never found an over filled hydraulic system reservoir to be a problem other than the oil can get pushed out when it expands under heat. Now the engine is a different story, to much oil there can get whipped up by the crank and make foam that can cause lube issues.

good point; never really thought about that. Just a personal use skidsteer