• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Outrigger crushing accident

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Not quite the same thing, but I don't know how many times I've had to warn guys not to stand near the outriggers on a backhoe while it's digging. It wouldn't take much to move the machine far enough to plop one down on someone's foot.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Not quite the same thing, but I don't know how many times I've had to warn guys not to stand near the outriggers on a backhoe while it's digging. It wouldn't take much to move the machine far enough to plop one down on someone's foot.
Ya I'd hate to be standing close to mine when I'm busting frost.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
If we had stayed with the hand pull out, hand crank down outriggers, things like this would not happen. Modern equipment is to blame for all the world failures. :D:D:D

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
If we had stayed with the hand pull out, hand crank down outriggers, things like this would not happen. Modern equipment is to blame for all the world failures. :D:D:D
Maybe but seems like some people could still figure out how to hurt themselves. "Gee I was just screwing the outrigger down and was texting my buddy about the girl I saw at the bar last night and the next thing I knew....."

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Maybe but seems like some people could still figure out how to hurt themselves. "Gee I was just screwing the outrigger down and was texting my buddy about the girl I saw at the bar last night and the next thing I knew....."

If people would just think about what they are doing when doing it they'd be fine... so when you're screwing a jack down think about the screwing not about the girl......

Kiwi-truckwit

With all of our truck mounted, truck loader, and all terrain cranes, I put all of the legs down one at a time. Sometimes the rams don't settle properly in the floats, especially on the all Terrains, so I like to eyeball them as they go down. The roughies are obviously all done from the cab, so a bit more risk for spectators, but nobody has been stupid enough to get under one yet

Welder Dave

If people would just think about what they are doing when doing it they'd be fine... so when you're screwing a jack down think about the screwing not about the girl......

They're thinking about what they'd rather be.....

ichudov

I did install a spot mirror for my right rear outrigger also, for this reason.

My own suggestion is to install an idiot detector on every job site and ring a loud alarm when an idiot walks into a job site.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
The side benefit of the idiot detector would be that everyone would be warned whenever the boss showed up.
Biggest reason most bosses of small businesses could be called idiots is because they work 14 hour days when there employees go home at 5 or 6. Do book work, repairs and client calls most weekends so that thier employees have a job to go to. Don't get me wrong I have great employees but most weeks I'd be glad to have thier pay check and let them work 7 days a week in my place.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
So now we have to program the machine to categorize what kind of idiots show up on site?

crane operator

Color coded. Idiots that should know better. Idiots that just don't know any better.

Idiots that should know better, but they're the boss so you can't tell them that. Idiots that don't know any better, but they're the boss, but you don't care anymore so are going to tell them so on the way to your next job.

Would that cover it? That's only 4 colors.

I've known guys that could set off the rainbow, shoot, I've been the guy.....

ichudov

Biggest reason most bosses of small businesses could be called idiots is because they work 14 hour days when there employees go home at 5 or 6. Do book work, repairs and client calls most weekends so that thier employees have a job to go to. Don't get me wrong I have great employees but most weeks I'd be glad to have thier pay check and let them work 7 days a week in my place.

your message described my situation precisely!