1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Ouch

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by nowing75, Apr 25, 2017.

1. nowing75

nowing75 Senior Member

IMG_0230.JPG IMG_0241.JPG customer called said pin come out of the haul truck we're it pivots and oil is everywhere. Has anybody had this problem ,not sure what happened first I'm thinking when that fell in misaligned the driveshaft and that broke the dropbox

ship660 and mikebramel like this.
  2. Hobbytime

Hobbytime Senior Member

ouch is right...and thats gona cost a few bucks to fix...

3. Cmark

Cmark Senior Member

The early 740s had problems with the A frame pin coming loose but I thought they had it fixed with the B series. Has the A frame been removed for repair recently?

mikebramel and bccat like this.
  4. nowing75

nowing75 Senior Member

Not that I know of I just talk to our local dealer and he said they've had problems with that bearing failing and causing it to do that. In the process of looking for used box price from cats $43,000

5. nowing75

nowing75 Senior Member

It's funny when they called they made it sound like it was no big deal not sure that they didn't realize what all had happened

6. ship660

ship660 Well-Known Member

I would say you are on target with what happened. 3 bolts hold the bearing tight against the tapered pin. When the A-frame fell put driveline in massive bind and broke drop box. The bolts must have been out or broken for a long time the last bearing I did had to put about 20ton of pressure to break the taper lock loose.

7. DARO

DARO Well-Known Member

Mechanic
    Iv seen them drop out.. never took out a drop box though. Front drive line and joints. A few hoses. Had one smash the sucition hose for that charge pump. Thing dont make much pressure to start with. When it was back together wuoldnt lock in the dif lock? Grrrrr.

8. pburress

pburress Well-Known Member

field service technician
  9. hvy 1ton

hvy 1ton Senior Member

That shelled out real good. Hopefully you can hunt down some salvage bits.

10. 92U 3406

92U 3406 Senior Member

Duct tape and JB Weld will take care of that.

11. JDOFMEMI

JDOFMEMI Senior Member

Ouch is right!

I too have seen it, both with Cat and Volvo trucks. Never broke a drop box though. It is a good idea to check the bearing for play now and then, and fix it before it is too late.

Good luck finding a used case.

12. Cmark

Cmark Senior Member

I've never seen a failed bearing. So far, it has always been (as it It appears to be in this case) assembly error.

13. fast_st

fast_st Senior Member

IT systems admin
    I think mcmaster has jb weld in the large 10 ounce tubes! spare parts should be about, might only need a case.

14. nowing75

nowing75 Senior Member

I had them send it to the local cat house because I was afraid I could not get it done in a timely manner as our company machines are priority. They said the bolts did not appear to be striped out so its like they just backed off. So far they have not found much for used box.