• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

OTT Skid Steer Over Tire Tracks Sand Septic System

Andy01

I have to install a raised filter bed septic system for my new home. I have access to a 2wd backhoe, mini ex, and a bobcat S150 skid steer. Would it be worth while to invest in a set of over tire tracks for the skid steer or will I need an actual tracked machine to get the job done. This will be my first raised septic system but I may do more if it goes well. I would appreciate any input on the OTT's or tips on the install of the system.

squidrig

Occupation
cranberry grower
Shouldn't need to have anymore than that the ott system would be a waste in my opinion of course I'm not there looking at the job

Andy01

The way I look at it I could buy a set of of ott's and have them for the next job if they work good. I don't know anybody that has actually used them and dont want to buy something I won't be happy with. They are cheaper than buying a CTL and would probably cost me the close to same price as subbing the job out. Looking for input from someone who has expierience using this system what they like or dislike about them.

squidrig

Occupation
cranberry grower
I have never used the ott tracks but I don't believe they significantly decrease ground pressure although they would give u better traction in the slop or sand if your constantly getting stuck my advice would be to attempt the project without them and if necessary rent a tracked unit for a day or so if u need too. Ott system will probably be a couple grand and a rental machine will be 300 /day or so. I know it doesn't address your question but cost is always a factor.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
I have a set of the Tracksplus brand OTT's I use during the winter, with the tracks on I can go through just about anything. That's the good. The bad is that these are a cheaper set than allot of set ups and need to be adjusted quite a bit, maybe every 30 hrs or so. Another problem is that if you have an attachment with hydraulic hoses you really need to watch the hoses or the tracks will hang on them. OTT's definitely help with flotation and traction when pushing dirt or brush. Think I gave around $1,800 for them shipped to the house.

Twisted

I have OTT bar style tracks that I install occasionally. The traction is nothing short of amazing in any and all conditions. The amount of soil that they mess up is disturbing. A wheel skid will be close to useless in sand. The tracks will make a huge difference but you'll spend a lot of time cleaning up behind yourself. Pad style tracks might be a better option if a CTL is not an option. I would worry about tearing your fabric and possible over-compaction.

Also 12" wide tires rather than 10" makes a big difference in the sand and mud.

Good luck!

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Twisted is correct OTT's do tear the soil up and make a mess. Driving a little different helps though. Making wider turns going forward and 3 point turns in reverse really helps.

Andy01

Thanks for the info guys. I think I will do as much as I can with equipment I have then rent a CTL to finish it off if I have to. The ott's may help with driving in sand but probobly not safe to drive over pipe. I wil let you know how the project turns out but it might be 6 months before I get to it. This will be my second septic system install. 1st was a trench leaching bed did 95% with backhoe. Final grade was done with a tracked loader when house was backfilled.

ironjunkie

OTT's are amazing, they help in all conditions except snow & ice. The Bobcat you mention is pretty small and should not hurt the pipe with a little cover & common sense but will be heavier under the tires than a CTL.

Twisted

OTT's are amazing, they help in all conditions except snow & ice. The Bobcat you mention is pretty small and should not hurt the pipe with a little cover & common sense but will be heavier under the tires than a CTL.

What type of OTT are you talking about? I noticed my biggest gains in winter conditions after installing steel bar tracks.
I have never used the rubber OTT tracks.

ironjunkie

I run the Grouser brand (metal) tracks and they are like skates on snow or ice. I chain up all 4 in the winter. The tracks look like they have holes provided to install a pic or cleat, I've just never checked into it.