• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

OT Locomotive Diesel Engine Problems

Rick Rowlands

I had a chance to perform a detailed inspection of the Cummins LI-600 engines on our GE 80 ton locomotive. The front engine is stuck, most likely from water in one or more cylinders. One head is missing and the cylinder wall is a bit rusty so this may be the one that is stuck.

The rear engine does run, however the no. 2 connecting rod bearing disintegrated and apparently the engine was kept in service for a while longer probably until the knock became too much to listen to. The crankpin is now of course galled. I have not yet taken a mic to it to find out how much metal was lost. Actually only one liner was still somewhat intact, the other one was in the bottom of the pan in a million pieces.

I need to be able to move this locomotive under its own power to get it out of where it is at and into a new location for rebuilding, probably two miles total. So I am now thinking if there is a way that I can run the engine on five cylinders for long enough to get it where it needs to go.

Some of the issues with doing this would be whether it would be better to try to clean up the journal as much as possible, put in a new liner, disconnect the injector and engage the compression release on that cylinder, or to remove the connecting rod, tie the piston and rod out of the way and install a machined clamp that would provide some of the weight of the rod and seal off the oil hole.

Anyone ever have to do something like this on a diesel engine? Would such a temporary repair work?

For the uninitiated, the LI-600 is a six cylinder inline engine, generating 250 HP at 1000 RPM. 7" bore, 10" stroke. Crankpin is 4.25" dia. First produced in 1929, this engine was built in 1944. Parts are somewhat available.

BillG

Rick, I am unfamiliar with the drive in the GE80. What is the generator as far as power output? Maybe it would be easier coming up with a different power supply and temporarily powering the loco to get it where you need it to be. This would expedite the move and prevent further damage to the Cummins. Just a thought.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
get the rod out of the way, tied up...get it where it needs to be.

I agree, take the head off #2, knock the piston and rod out the top of hole, remove connecting rod, drop piston back in hole and simply let it rest on rings providing an oil cap for hole. Run engine just enough rpm to get to destination. I don't see a problem doing that. Well, unless you have to have #2 head in place for coolant passages. If that's the case, why not simply leave the piston out. After all, with connecting rod out, that hole ain't doing nothing anyway. Just a thought.

Last edited:

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I have to admit that my first thought was similar to some of the others--is there a way to provide juice to the drive motors from some other source? (Which may or may not prove that I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to railroad engines.)

I need to be able to move this locomotive under its own power to get it out of where it is at and into a new location for rebuilding, probably two miles total. So I am now thinking if there is a way that I can run the engine on five cylinders for long enough to get it where it needs to go.

Food for thought--what happens if you jury rig the deisel, and it scatters halfway to the destination? Do you have a backup plan? :cool2

td25c

I had a chance to perform a detailed inspection of the Cummins LI-600 engines on our GE 80 ton locomotive. The front engine is stuck, most likely from water in one or more cylinders. One head is missing and the cylinder wall is a bit rusty so this may be the one that is stuck.

The rear engine does run, however the no. 2 connecting rod bearing disintegrated and apparently the engine was kept in service for a while longer probably until the knock became too much to listen to. The crankpin is now of course galled. I have not yet taken a mic to it to find out how much metal was lost. Actually only one liner was still somewhat intact, the other one was in the bottom of the pan in a million pieces.

Some of the issues with doing this would be whether it would be better to try to clean up the journal as much as possible, put in a new liner, disconnect the injector and engage the compression release on that cylinder, or to remove the connecting rod, tie the piston and rod out of the way and install a machined clamp that would provide some of the weight of the rod and seal off the oil hole.

Anyone ever have to do something like this on a diesel engine? Would such a temporary repair work?

For the uninitiated, the LI-600 is a six cylinder inline engine, generating 250 HP at 1000 RPM. 7" bore, 10" stroke. Crankpin is 4.25" dia. First produced in 1929, this engine was built in 1944. Parts are somewhat available.

You get to have all the fun Rick:D Sounds like an interesting challenge.I did have a similiar situation with a dozer. It spun a rod bearing on a job site.I pulled the pan & rod cap,used a air belt type sander to clean up the rod journal best I could.Installed new bearing shell with some lubriplate grease on it.It started & we loaded it on the lowboy& got it home.I like your idea about tieing the rod back and installing a machiened clamp on the journal.I dont know all the circumstances But will the Rail Road let you pull it down the track?Good size farm tractor,Log skidder ,etc if it's only 2 miles.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Don't know much about gensets at all but I'm wondering if there is a minimum RPM you need in order to move the machine. Those old diesels are slow to medium speed so if you just needed above idle to run the compressor and provide for the drive motors I would think you could do it pretty easy. It will vibrate but I've seen plenty of engines run a long time with dead holes.

My other thought is with that much damage on one journal all that trash might be in others. I have also seen wheel loaders used for pushing coal cars into place. That might be an idea also.

Good Luck and thanks for the photos.

FSERVICE

just a thought why not have one of the local trains move it that far (bribe them with your charm:) or is it on a spur already? something to think about is if you get it out there and it scatters!!! whats plan b and c??

td25c

Locomotive diesel engine

We are working along a railroad siding and today I looked over & spotted 3 engines on a flat car.Well.......I had to check them out,Thought I may have found Rick some parts engines but they were the wrong make,Dang it! They are Mcintosh & Seymour.Pretty interesting ,You dont realize how big these rascles are till ya get up close.They are 6 cylinder engines and The American Bosch injector pump is as big as in line 300 6 cylinder in Atco's ford pickup:D Horsepower on them is 1000 at 740 rpm.I thought they were kinda cool.

Attachments

• smith ville school 007.JPG
    smith ville school 007.JPG
    359.9 KB · Views: 785
  • smith ville school 008.JPG
    smith ville school 008.JPG
    346.9 KB · Views: 957
  • smith ville school 009.JPG
    smith ville school 009.JPG
    269.1 KB · Views: 761

td25c

It was big Atco & I was surprised to see it was made by American Bosch.I guess ya call a crane service when its time to pull it.I wouldent know where you would take it to to be rebuilt.Need a pretty big test stand for that injector pump.

WabcoRob

Occupation
Excavator and Heavy Equipment Mechanic
solution for transport

I would make the front engine a parts engine and fix the rear engine. Replace bad rod, bearings, etc. from engine one. Get it back to your place and then you can spend plenty of time getting the front engine running again.

I know it's a pain in the butt working on these monsters, but dead machines are extremely hard to move.

Rick Rowlands

I think my plan will be to clean up the journal as best as I can, put in a new bearing and just take it slow. I'm looking at the possibility of acquiring a complete engine, I know where there are two more 80 tonners that are dead but should have good engines. Ultimately I would like to have two good engines on the loco and a good spare sitting in a crate.

Those engines in the pics are Alco (American Locomotive Company) 539 engines. If normally aspirated they are good for 660 HP and would have been used in the S1 switcher. If turbocharged they would put out 1000 hp and be used in the S2 and S4 switchers.

Alcos had an odd sound when running, always sounding like they were ready to stall out. But its a much more soothing sound to listen to than a little truck engine screaming its lungs out.

YouTube - Cranking an ALCO 539 on the CACV
YouTube - AC&J Alco S1 #7371 Listen to that sound!

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
What kind of parts does "Rick" need? We've got Alco inline 6 stuff laying all over the place. :)

:Edit:
Oops, didn't read the whole thread first :eek:

Anyway, where I work we've got half a dozen Alco S6's and a pair of RS11's. I Love those old babies :D

Last edited: