• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

OSHA and Demolition

90plow

Hi guys,
Taking on a small job tearing down a house in a rather busy part of town with lots of eyes. I have my trenching and excavation safety cert. for OSHA just wondering besides the obvious work safety and health issues on the job what could be done to prevent fines from coming my way should osha stick there nose in the job. Things Im not sure of is guarding on the machine, do they look for/require it on an enclosed cab excavator. I know it would be a good idea but we do so few demo jobs it really wouldn't be something I would want to purchase if I could avoid it for now.
Things that are being done
-Safety fence
-hard hats googles
-safety vests
-gloves
-no one in the area of demolition aside from the operator
-Asbestos is being abated
Anything else?
Thanks!

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
No guarding is required on equipment that doesn't mean it's not an extremely good idea. Something simple like a steel frame with some heavy duty "hog panels" over it. Not sure what it's called it like the screening used in a soil screening plant. Oh and make sure its sings open somehow clean windows.

Water for dust control but don't get carried away if you're charged by the ton at the landfill.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I was reading a thing the other day that said if the state has an agency for safety on the job then OSHA cedes jurisdiction to the state agency. Anyone know if that is true?

hetkind

Some states run their own Osha , such as cal Osha, with similar requirements.

It really doesn't matter.

Howard

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
There is a demolition course you can take online, it's just a cert. for the safety program as it's not that informative.:rolleyes:

Other items in addition to what you listed -

Company safety policy
MSDS sheets
Written plan for the execution of the demo
A current tool box talk on demo
If you will be cutting anything with a rescue saw use a face shield and safety glasses
Any gas cans onsite or in your truck(s) should be metal safety cans
Have a first aid kit and fire extinguishers on site.
Drinking water and restroom facilities should be provided on site

I'm sure there are other things they could write you up on as the code of regulations is a thick book.. Sometimes paperwork is more important depending on the OSHA inspector if your doing your job safely.:cool2

Now the common sense stuff. Like DB said use water for dust control but don't get carried away as water is extra cost across the scales. Try to keep all the demo debris inside the footprint of the house as it makes it much easier to clean up.

mitch504

I was reading a thing the other day that said if the state has an agency for safety on the job then OSHA cedes jurisdiction to the state agency. Anyone know if that is true?

We do here in SC, they call us "not an OSHA state". The thing that surprises me is, unlike a lot of things, we can actually have regulations that laxer than the feds.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
It doesn't matter if you have State OSHA or Federal OSHA you follow whatever requirements are stricter that's the way it works. Just because the state rules are more lax doesn't mean the fed isn't going to come there in bust your butt.

Have something in your contract about not responsible for utility disconnects and disposal of hazardous waste like tires. We have hit water lines and gas lines that no one knew about. Ripped them out of the main... that gets expensive. If the sites are abandon everybody in there brother will start dumping tires there if they haven't already. I've hauled truck loads of tires off a house lot before. Also found tool shed full of fertilizers and old engine oil.

Oddest thing was the house that had a horse living it, but this is TX.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
It doesn't matter if you have State OSHA or Federal OSHA you follow whatever requirements are stricter that's the way it works. Just because the state rules are more lax doesn't mean the fed isn't going to come there in bust your butt.

Have something in your contract about not responsible for utility disconnects and disposal of hazardous waste like tires. We have hit water lines and gas lines that no one knew about. Ripped them out of the main... that gets expensive. If the sites are abandon everybody in there brother will start dumping tires there if they haven't already. I've hauled truck loads of tires off a house lot before. Also found tool shed full of fertilizers and old engine oil.

Oddest thing was the house that had a horse living it, but this is TX.

100% correct that the strictest safety rule applies. The way it was always explained to us having worked on many OSHA "partnerships" that many states have, the jurisdictional body inspecting must enforce the more stringent of the state or federal statue.

Last edited: