• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Opinions on Volvo CTLs?

Palmer78

Specifically on the mct125c and mct135c models. Is the single loader arm design strong enough for tough digging? It seems like the loader arm would bend if loaded heavily on the left side, but that's just how it looks to me. After checking some specs on these models it seems like they would be a little underpowered for a ctl as heavy as they are. Any input on the performance and especially the durability and reliability of these machines would be appreciated.

GaryHoff

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Mechanic
They are a re-branded JCB. Not overly popular in my area, but the government and safety people like them because the boom cant lock you in the cab. Any reason you want the single loader arm boom? IMO if the single arm boom was such a good design, then there would be more than just jcb making it.

Last edited:

KenMac

Occupation
Commercial HVAC tech
There is a JCB dealer near me and I looked at his used ctl recently. There is some logic in the design. Entry is easier than others and visibility is pretty good. I don't know how well JCB supports owners with parts, etc. Newer machines have JCB's engines also. Have NO info on them. You now know about all I do about them.

Palmer78

They are a re-branded JCB. Not overly popular in my area, but the government and safety people like them because the boom cant lock you in the cab. Any reason you want the single loader arm boom? IMO if the single arm boom was such a good design, then there would be more than just jcb making it.

There are a few of these at a local auction so I was wondering if they are worth looking at.

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
We demo'ed one and the only thing I liked about was getting in it and more importantly, getting out of it....strange little machines.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
We demo'ed one and the only thing I liked about was getting in it and more importantly, getting out of it....strange little machines.

Got my laugh for the evening!

JoshA

Occupation
Excavation contractor
I don't know about you, but I do most of my hard, abusive work with the loader down.

The Volvo/JCB have bracing/pockets the boom sits in when lowered, kind of takes away from any strength arguments in that situation.

I have a Volvo MCT125C, I run a Cat 289C2 at work, 30-50hours a week.

I hate the visibility of the Volvo to the front, under the boom, or the lack of ability through the boom to see the pallet forks at "deck/truck" height. But at least I can get out to check on their positioning?!?

I wear ear plugs when running the Cat. I listen to the radio in my Volvo.

The Cat, I need to be in low gear to push, the Volvo I never have reason to operate it out of high gear.

The Cat shifts incredibly smooth, the Volvo.... I suggest stopping while it shifts.

The Cat has a very fast and user friendly quick attach. The Volvo, well it sucks.

The Cat undercarriage is more prone to build up material, and more of a pain to clean out.

Personally, I'm thrilled with the Volvo so far, and would buy one again, and miss my Volvo every moment I'm in the Cat. And I use to think Cat was all that and more.