• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Operator Journeyman

DuraMaxMan66

Occupation
PT student/operator
Anyone know of any large companies in the easter US that hire operator journeymen? I love to travel and would like to do this for awhile when i get out of college so i'm trying to get a feel for the companies that are out there that i can look at? :beatsme

BrianHay

By journeyman what exactly do you mean? Are you at an operator training college right now and want info on what your options are when your finished?

Here are a couple of threads to check out that may be helpful

Link
Link

If you do a search of the forums I'm sure you will find more threads.

And last but not least, there is no such thing as a 'journeyman operator' fresh out of school. Approach perspective employers wanting to learn. Be willing to start at the bottom (laborer, rock truck or packer). No amount of schooling will make a person an operator. Only on the job experience will make you an operator. If you stay humble and eager to learn you will work your way up fast and land a good seat way faster then anyone claiming to be a journeyman fresh out of school and only willing to take an operators position to start.

Good luck!

DuraMaxMan66

Occupation
PT student/operator
yes im in an operator school now,ill be out in 2010 tentatively with a bachelors degree in heavy equipment operation and business management so i realize i may have to work up to a point in a company to proove myself....but i guess im just looking to find a big company that does business in a multi state area....ive heard of guys that get all expenses hotel/food paid and may or may not have a company vehicle to travel in.....and just basically go to operate a specific machine at that site for a short amount of time before they are back on the road to another city and stay in another hotel.....ive heard of guys that do this and make upwards of $30/hr or more....but i guess u have prolly have to be a class A operator for a company to want to pay just to move u around like that....

Last edited:

BrianHay

I don't know how it is in the US but I don't imagine it's a whole lot different then here. I spent about 13 of my 15 years as on operator working on the road. The way things are here right now you don't have to be a great operator to make good money on the road. There isn't enough experienced operators to go around so ether new people get trained or machines get parked. So usually what happens is a company has their core experienced people that stick with them that they pay the best. Take those experienced operators and team them up with rookies. The rookies do the bulking out with their guidance and then the experienced operators do the trimming. Even bulkers make good money and are paid all expenses. And some companies if they are busy enough will even bring laborers and packer operators on the road. Usually the company will put you up in a hotel and pay you $xx a day for expenses, or in a camp with camp cooks that feed you like a king, or pay you to bring your holiday trailer. I have rarely seen an operator with a company truck but lots that don't need a truck because there is always a company vehicle to ride out to the job in.

BrianHay

Your welcome :)
So how is the equipment schooling going for you? Do you like it? Business managment to eh, right on!

DuraMaxMan66

Occupation
PT student/operator
school is going great....i love every second of it...ill be finishing the operations part hopefully this summer or fall....i'd like to find a company to do a co-op/internship deal for the summer....the training site with our prof. is a joke...ive heard horror stories from kids that went through it this summer....so i wanna find somewhere that will be able to get me on some equipment to complete some things and ill get paid and credit for my ops at the same time rather than wasting 4 days a week all summer and not making any money.....we had a career fair this week with some big companies from PA and surrounding states....i dont know if this yeilded any results, i gave my resume to 5 diff companies. so we shall see....im willing to move away just so i can do that and get credit for my ops....and as far as business goes...i dont think im gonna like what i have to get into but after i get out i think it will be a good decision in the long run....prolly will seek foreman position or similar in FL,NY, or CO havent decided where id like to go yet....:beatsme