• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

operator fatigue

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . . difficult problem Plebian, I have often wondered about it myself.

I guess machinery operators are no different to truckers/car drivers who go to sleep at the wheel.

I have gone to sleep on a dozer, easy enough to do at the end of a long shift after a party.

I would think a modern machine with an air-cab, a comfy seat and tunes wouldn't help much . . . don't ever remember nodding off hauling eights and nines with a two stick Mack though.

Cheers.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
OK,

You guys are really unique in the Southern Hemisphere...

I just toggled the link about the vests and in the middle of the article is an ad about woman's? underwear, all black with pink polka dots on it. Reading the story and where the ad broke, it seemed to indicate that the outfit was what people were going to start wearing. I though orange and green Hi-Viz was obnoxious, if I had to start wearing a teddy in black with pink polkadots I think I would quit the business. TV NZ needs to watch their ads or they will scare off quite a few people.

mitch504

I hate to say it, but if they come up with any more of this crap, I'm going out on disability, based on not having the patience for this mess.

gologit

Occupation
Logger
I tried that. I told the forester that all the new rules were driving me crazy so I ought to be eligible for a disability. Didn't work.

winterax

Yeah, its getting pretty sad. After 35 years of supervising crews, my first thought in the morning is no longer " any day in the bush is better than a day in the office " to " how would I explain the decision I made today in court ? ". I'm pretty lucky that most of the crew understand the changes , especially considering some of the brain dead idiots that we now have to deal with, that wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes on site 15 years ago. Plus some of the clowns with many letters behind their name, that check our work. Had a small fire in a D8 2 weeks ago, operator got it out, followed almost all procedures. Got written up because the ripper wasn't lowered when he left the now inoperable machine ( burned through a wiring harness). My wife says I should cut down a bit on the scotch.:soapbox

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
Sounds like a tired log loader operator if he falls asleep at the controls, or do electric joy sticks make it tedious rather than pulling on different levers like the loaders of old?
http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/sports-invention-lower-forestry-deaths-5837684

That guy has a product to sell, so of course he's trying to promote it as necessary for safety.

OK,

You guys are really unique in the Southern Hemisphere...

I just toggled the link about the vests and in the middle of the article is an ad about woman's? underwear, all black with pink polka dots on it. Reading the story and where the ad broke, it seemed to indicate that the outfit was what people were going to start wearing. I though orange and green Hi-Viz was obnoxious, if I had to start wearing a teddy in black with pink polkadots I think I would quit the business. TV NZ needs to watch their ads or they will scare off quite a few people.

I saw an ad in the middle for electric guitars. I think your cookie history determines what ads come up. And if people have to start wearing lingerie on a construction site, that will be as noticeable as a green vest. :D