• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Operating my first skid steer in 1988...

928G Boy

justinbobcatza9.jpg

I guess I could say on a resume I have 21 years experience in the industry? :beatsme

928G Boy

I just found that picture last night in a book of old photos and it reminded me that my crazy dad had me operating that machine by myself as soon as i could (barely!) reach the pedals... That was in kindergarten I think? I'm afraid to have my 24 year old girlfriend even drive a skid steer let alone a 6 or 7 year old kid!

Anybody on here as crazy as my old man? I know this guy is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X59Peg0NgY

TALLRICK

If I ever have kids I would let them operate the Bobcat as soon as they are responsible. I just wish my dad would have had one for me when I was younger!

CEM

Occupation
State Prison
I love the lesson. Can you imagine the patience this man has, to take the time to teach the child. And the confidence he has in the childs ability. This kid will grow up and will not be afraid to operate anything.

John DiMartino

Super Moderator
Occupation
Greenskeeper/mechanic
928G,thats pretty cool!

My 3 kids,14,11,and 9 operate my 246 Cat like a pro. The 11 yr old grades as good as me with it.

dirthog28

928 that reminds me of myself at about the same age, only I started out on a Old Case 1737 case skidsteer. I would sit on my grandpa's lap and run the entire thing since it was case hand controls. He always tells how he was scared to death and just held on. My dad's not that great of a operator so as I got older I would go with him and grade around peoples houses, they'd always freak out that 10-12 year was grading up against their house with a bobcat.

toomacho

Occupation
High School Teacher
I did too!

OK, I let my 8 year old son drive my 863. The kid did a great job back dragging! Of course I only let him drive it on a flat surface and close enough to me so he could hear my voice.
To me it is MUCH safer that the Kubota tractor we had. Don't have to worry about him falling off and going under the wheels.
I told him if he gets in a bind just to raise his hands and feet and he will be fine!
I plan to work on his digging skills very soon. He loves the thing! :cool:

mudmaker

I remember running a tractor when I was around 7. I agree though a skid would be much safer.