• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Open Office

zhkent

Occupation
Earthmoving
zhkent, thanks very much for the tutorial. :) Now I need to increase the IT budget and start migrating to linux! :thumbsup
Orchard Ex,

If you want to play with it on the cheap here is how to install ubuntu on a usb.
How to make bootable usb
Then you can boot up onto the flashdrive rather than the hard drive (requires setting bios to boot usb 1st) and presto your running linux.
Ubuntu can also be ran from the cd, that might be easiest.
Or cheat and do what I did---system 76

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Thanks, I'm looking really hard at a new netbook to run Ubuntu on. Then I can watch TV and HEF at the same time.

xterrahawk

Occupation
entreprenuer, Developer
I have MS office 2007 which was quite expensive ($300.00) I'm still working with it and learning each day, but so far I really like it. I was told after I purchased this that I could have went through my company and bought this program for $45 :Banghead
Power Point on this program is awesome as you can do so much more with it compared to the previous version. I'm working with word now creating documents & charts and I'm learning as I go. The only downfall that I see with word 07 is when I send my charts to someone that has the older version, some of the info is missing when they open it. MS word 07 is compatible with the older versions but the older versions won't display the new features of 07 (just makes sense)
I haven't worked with excel very much yet with the exception of creating a simple spread sheet for those that I've trained.
I've never tried open office.

hey grader4me when you are using MS Office 2007 and you want to send someone that file simply follwo these instructions

or

just simply choose the MS Office 2003 version and it wont effect anything, hope this helps and this goes for any MS Office Program :)

Grader4me

Welcome to the forum xterrahawk. Thanks for the info. Yes, I noticed this feature, but when I put together my manual I used features that wasn't available in word 03. If converted to 03 it wouldn't look the same.

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
Sadly all the computers and software we are using is all based on the IBM x86 architcture they developed in the late 70's early 80's. I also had the plesure of talking to one of the better Microsoft help lines a few years ago. Here's their group photo.

Attachments

• Micrsoft tech support.JPG
    Micrsoft tech support.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 108

Wolfcsm

Sadly all the computers and software we are using is all based on the IBM x86 architcture they developed in the late 70's early 80's. I also had the plesure of talking to one of the better Microsoft help lines a few years ago. Here's their group photo.

A little about the development of DOS (yes there were operating systems before WINDOWS)
http://www.patersontech.com/Dos/Byte/History.html

Not usre that the current versions of WINDOWS have more than a distant relationship to the first versions of DOS developed of the 8086. Current WINDOWS probably has more in common with WINDOWS NT.

Bill Gates once said that 640 kb of RAM would be all that was ever needed. Now we are seeing 12GB systems of the home.

I worked for a time as a tech support person for ACER Computers. I can tell you that they hired anyone who could identify a computer at 10 feet 3 of 5 times.

Hal

uffex

Occupation
Admin
The quickbooks thing is the only reason that I'm not running linux. I had read that it wouldn't load with WINE etc. If you don't mind, can you describe what's needed to run it as you are here? I'm thinking of getting a netbook to ease into linux.
Im not sure of the program you mention, however I have a dual boot machine with Hackintosh - Zorin (Linux) for some years. Zorin has Wine I have found even my old Corel Draw 6 runs fine on wine, loaded no trouble, much as you may hope for. Open office is fine, never go back to Microsoft stuff.
Kind regards
Uffex

zhkent

Occupation
Earthmoving
Update on system.
I have switched form Ubuntu to Debian Mate, which is also Linux.
Installation has gotten easier and the programs better.
To me Ubuntu was the trendy one, Debian Mate not so much.
The gnome desktop I chose has three choices with drop down menus:
Applications, Places, System similar to the xp start menu.

I am still running quickbooks, in windows xp, in virtualbox, on my Debian system.
I don't do anything online on xp or quickbooks 2003 and so haven't had any viruses or such. I print checks and invoices and take a copy on usb to my tax guy. He can load the file, just can't send it back, so have to do any depreciation entries or other stuff manually.
Have updated computers mostly because of internet browsing, to keep the old one as a backup, and I like a fast computer. Have discs of xp and quickbooks so can fresh load them.

Last note, I haven't had to deal with an anti-virus program at all. Debian requires manual password input to make any system changes. So while you don't get a "one click" program install, you also are safer from a "one click" virus install.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Update on system.
I have switched form Ubuntu to Debian Mate, which is also Linux.
Installation has gotten easier and the programs better.
To me Ubuntu was the trendy one, Debian Mate not so much.
The gnome desktop I chose has three choices with drop down menus:
Applications, Places, System similar to the xp start menu.

I am still running quickbooks, in windows xp, in virtualbox, on my Debian system.
I don't do anything online on xp or quickbooks 2003 and so haven't had any viruses or such. I print checks and invoices and take a copy on usb to my tax guy. He can load the file, just can't send it back, so have to do any depreciation entries or other stuff manually.
Have updated computers mostly because of internet browsing, to keep the old one as a backup, and I like a fast computer. Have discs of xp and quickbooks so can fresh load them.

Last note, I haven't had to deal with an anti-virus program at all. Debian requires manual password input to make any system changes. So while you don't get a "one click" program install, you also are safer from a "one click" virus install.
I guess quickbooks will not run in wine?
Kind regards
Uffex

zhkent

Occupation
Earthmoving
Did some google, saw some articles that say after quickbooks 2002, except 2003 and 2004 will work.
sudo apt-get install wine
Put in quickbooks cd, right click on it, Open with Wine Windows Program Loader.
After installed Go to Wine file browser
right-click on “qb32.exe” and select “Open with Wine Windows Program Loader
Thanks to thetechedvocate.org for above info.
Since it says 2003 won't work I am not going to try at this time.