• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Open Circuit 97' JCB Series 3

JCB Nate

The tractor was operating properly until the starter solenoid overheated. I was operating the backhoe when it happened. 1st dilemma I ecountered was that it would barely travel when I went to back it up to park it. I replaced the starter and solenoid, but errantly erased the photo I took of how it was wired. I downloaded the service manual, but it doesn't include the engine section. I can't identify the component that was wired to the starter or solenoid from the wiring diagram. The other wire goes to the alternator. Any knowledge and insights fellow members are willing to share would be appreciated.20190417_140635.jpg 20190417_140957.jpg Screenshot_20190417-135752_Write on PDF.jpg

Dan603

Not for nothing but I chased a problem with my shut off solenoid a few years ago. Mine is a 1995 215 Series 3. It would start and run for a short time and then shut down. It would restart and run for just a few seconds before shutting down. Finally it just wouldn't start, just turn over. If I left it a while it would start and the process repeated. After hours of going through the fuel lines, filter, tank, and replacing the solenoid, etc., I discovered that the the plastic wire casing around the wire that powered the fuel solenoid was broken. The wire underneath was tarnished. I replaced the wire and connector and never had another problem with it. I theorized that the exposed wire offered resistance and that the longer it was put to power, the more resistance, to the point that it couldn't hold the solenoid open.

I see in your photos a couple of wires that were in the same condition as mine. It may or may not be an issue or the issue. Sorry about the poor photo quality of mine but here was the culprit.

Dan

Attachments

• P9270421.JPG
    P9270421.JPG
    269 KB · Views: 15

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
How many wires did you disconnect . How many were spade type connectors ,how many ring type.

Dan603

What is the wire number for the wire that is not connected? Do you have a service manual? Or did you solve the problem?

Delmer

I'm unclear on what the problem is?

I think I see a cable attached to the lower big stud in the upper picture, I would think that cable would feed the alternator or the wiring harness, and should be attached to the upper stud with the battery cable. Without a feed from the battery cable, nothing will get power.

jcb jeff

All 600 wire are ground wires normally you will have a large earth also connected to starter body at the ring terminal at the bottom of picture.
Normally the red main batt wire will go to solenoid as you have it and then the wire that you say going to the alternator is also connected at this point so the alternator large red wire on the ring terminal should always be live regardless of ign position, only thing which will kill the live is if you have an isolator fitted and these often burn out and give a poor connection try linking this out it will be fitted near the battery on the earth line.