1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Oops I skipped this step!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by skyking1, Nov 18, 2020.

1. skyking1

skyking1 Well-Known Member

I've already been posting questions and pictures and all sorts of stuff and realized I didn't find this thread in a timely manner.
    Union guy here 30 years in and just a few more to go. Typical farm boy gone equipment operator.
    Like more than a few of you I'm also a pilot. It seems to go hand in hand, the hand eye thing. My dad was in the laborers and he worked with a grader operator on interstate 90 who would fly his cub out and land on the subgrade every day.
    I got in kind of late after exploring other trades and owning my own dozer and things like that.
    I did 27 years of mostly slogging around in the mud with excavators and dozers and the like, but I did run boom truck before they required certification.
    I put up a lot of traffic signals and street lights, and a few truss jobs and the like.
    Once you needed a certification I kept on keeping on I was busy in the dirt.
    About 4 years back I got tired of it and went to the Union School and got every crane certification they could give me.
    I did a couple stints on the water and working in commercial construction downtown Seattle with the boom truck.
    Came back around full circle and I'm back in the dirt with an excavator or two. I work for a little family company that I worked for last 12 years ago, and it's just really hard to beat being part of a small outfit. The commute's short, they got me a new mini and are not afraid of throwing some money at the old iron.
    The last guy retired with 40 years with the company. I think that's saying something.
    You try and stay out of the news in this business, but it's okay to get your picture in the international magazine.
    Go to page 16 I'm that dumbass with his head out the window so he can see what he's doing.
    https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/26721757/operating-engineer-summer-2014

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    dirty4fun, mg2361, Jonas302 and 2 others like this.
  2. farmerlund

farmerlund Senior Member

Farmer/ excavator
    welcome to HEF. Looks like you have had an interesting career by some if the pics you shared.

skyking1 likes this.
  3. skyking1

Thank you Farmer. I feel welcomed, this is a nice place from what I can see.
    Another fun thing I did for not much money was tow aerial advertising in the Seattle and Portland area.
    The boss had a 170B, and I ran his 175.
    Both had 180 HP O-360's out of the early Mooneys, with constant speed props and Western airways STOL leading edges.
    Both had 3 glider tow hooks on the tail, so we could stay aloft for 3 signs without landing to reload hooks.
    It was modern day barnstorming :)

farmerlund likes this.
  4. Coaldust

Coaldust Well-Known Member

Cargo Tanks
    Welcome aboard!

5. mg2361

mg2361 Senior Member

Equipment Mechanic/Technician
    Welcome to HEF skyking1;)!

6. skyking1