• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

One of Biggest Cat Dealers in U.S., Milton CAT

kenny285

Occupation
Construction Superintendent
It's supposed to be reversed on the right side of vehicles. Otherwise it would look like it was going backwards or retreating.

dozerdave

Hi 992G

Super information, I operated a 15A around 1958 or 1959 that Peterson Tractor delivered to the project. The transmission had the same controls as the early 46A and it had a turbo on it. The 15A had a hyd. blade with tilt and angle and rippers.

Deereman

So who is the biggest dealer in the US:beatsme

I thought i saw that it was Holt Cat,does the biggest mean biggest area or most inventory????

Just wondering? while we are researching thing out here?

When i went through the Deere plant at Dubuque ,Iowa three years ago they told us that every machine that was being built was supposedly to be sold :beatsme:usa

Yea they told me the same thing. Deere builds to orders where cat channel stuffs(or used to any way). It has its pros and cons. I went to davenport last september and the lot was about 3/4 full and as bout as tight as you could get machines in the 3 or 4 acre lot.. I wished I would have driven on over to the dubuque works now but might go there this year.

warrencat

Milton Cat is not the largest Cat Dealer in the country. Warren Cat has 16 locations and is the leader in Power Systems and Engine sales...

kenwortht800

Occupation
Owner of a construction company
i agree bought my 980 from finnig in alberta they had a new on their and tormont would have ahd to order it fing is the biggest

TozziWelding

Occupation
Welder/Equipment Repair
Milton CAT does have alot of stuff, I can usually get parts for anything I am working on same day. If it is your first time going in to the Milford yard you might get lost in there;)

Abscraperguy

Finning has a large European and South America presence besides Canada which makes it Cat's largest dealership worldwide. But I don't know if their North American ops are larger than any other North American Cat dealership

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Finning has a large European and South America presence besides Canada which makes it Cat's largest dealership worldwide. But I don't know if their North American ops are larger than any other North American Cat dealership
Having worked for them not so long ago Finning has the following dealerships ........

Western Canada - Alberta, BC, Northwest Territories, & Yukon (4200 employees)
Latin America - Chile, Argentina, Bolivia, & Uruguay (a total of 6600 employees in the 4 countries)
UK - the former Leverton, Bowmaker, & Caledonian Tractor operations in England/Scotland/Wales, & the Mcormick-Macnaughton operations in Ireland. (1600 employees)
So we're looking at over 12,000 employees in 6 countries on 3 continents. I know that's getting away from North America but still worth a comment IMHO.

..... plus they now have the Bucyrus dealerships in all the above territories, bought not so long back from Cat for US$300 million IIRC.

When we talk about "biggest dealer" I guess someone needs to ask how is that decided..... area of territory, number of branches, number of machines sold, number of employees, turnover in $ terms, what ..?

At one time around 10 years or so ago (not sure about now) Zeppelin in Germany was the biggest dealer in terms of machine sales because they had a stranglehold on the construction market & sold literally thousands of small size machines in their terroritory.
At the same time Trakindo the Indonesian Cat Dealer (5500 employees) was the biggest in terms of turnover because of all the large-scale mining operations in Indo plus the fact that almost all the power generation in a country comprised on literally dozens of separate islands is supplied by diesel generators and Trakindo had the lion's share of the sales.

So I guess at the end of the day it comes down to the basis that you use to calculate "the biggest" .........

Last edited:

Zed

Nige can't comment on any other dealers but apparently Trakindo will be delivering 6000 units this year. (that includes every product)

FUJINAMI1293

great pictures i will be at the local cat dealer tomorrow getting some pics so ill post them the local dealer close to me is peterson cat in portland