• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Onan 150kW Starter Switch Trouble

HardRockNM

Occupation
Miner
This genset sat for about a year and a half at one of our mines. It uses a three-position rocker switch (top- start, middle- run, bottom- stop) and starts up fine but shuts off as pressure is removed from the switch.

I've inserted photos of the switch body and panel layout. Just looking for recommendations since I haven't been able to find a direct replacement switch. It would be nice if the existing unit could be repaired, though I wouldn't mind a different type of unit since the plastic rocker doesn't seem to hold up. Hillbilly fixes are fine, it just needs to run, not look pretty.

These photos are from my business partner who is less than mechanically inclined; he lives much closer to the site.
IMG_3255.jpg
IMG_3253.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3246.jpg
    IMG_3246.jpg
    531.8 KB · Views: 2

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
At least for a temp fix you could bring a generic off the shelf keyswitch from an auto parts house or see what ACE Hardware has for 3 position switches in the bolt bin area. That way you can wire something in to get it running while fixing or sourcing a replacement.

I'd be spraying out the old switch with electrical contact cleaner and compressed air. More than likely it's just old and gummed up and can be saved.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Browse the web site at Waytek wire, you will find the switch you need there. I steer clear of the auto parts switches because they are no good generally, unless you need it NOW.

HardRockNM

Occupation
Miner
I swapped out the old switch this evening. Fortunately that was the issue - I wish everything could be that simple. Some downstream issues need to be diagnosed now, which will be a real learning experience. We're taking over for a sparky who passed away last year; I end up learning more about the fixed plant each time another issue crops up.