• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

On the Road Again

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
So if one of those pumps shells out can it send metal into the others or would it be caught in a filter I assume?
Filters would blow out in the feed side, the fine filters are in the return. The HP side has a 200-micron steel trash screen behind each pump. Built, as we say, to catch tree branches, children, & small dogs. Also each pump has a metal chip detector that alarms when contaminated.

Nige

If I were hacking on that jig, I'd make the spreader so it sat secure on top with some metal tabs for storage, and knock some fork pockets into the side of it with 3x6 tubing.
I did question the lack of fork pockets already. Good idea on the spreader fixing. I like that. I was thinking of using the lower lifting eyes on the spreader to the lifting eyes on the lower frame and pin them together for storage. Some calculations on sling lengths (fronts have to be +/- 2ft longer than the rears) to get the angle of dangle of the lower frame correct might also not go amiss.

Last edited:

Nige

I hope the rain is not miserably cold there like it normally is here. But I bet it is just as wet.
Temperature was in the 70's. But any time you are squinting to try to line something up and rain is running down the back of your neck is never comfortable.

Last edited:

Nige

Nige
Will you be able to get back to home with countries starting to ban flights to the UK ?
Wasn't planning to anyway. I have a short trip to Colombia via Panama when I do finally bail out of here. Including the layover in Panama the total journey is only about 5 hours. Miserable UK winters are not my idea of fun, Covid or not.
Hoping your back home family remains healthy Nige
Got to be tough being away for extended periods during crap like Covid
We are lucky where we live. Being an island and self-governing the drawbridge was pulled up very early in the piece. it's easy to control arrivals when you only have one airport and one ferry port. People are free to leave but anyone arriving has to quarantine for 14 days. As a result of that we have no social distancing requirements, no mask-wearing, pubs, restaurants, cinemas, gyms, etc are all open. Basically life goes on as normal apart from the restrictions when arriving. The only cases of Covid since May 20 have been in people who developed symptoms during self-isolation having recently arrived on the island from outside. So nothing (so far fingers crossed) has got out into the wider community for over 6 months now.

Nige

Big parts win hearts as they say around here. Had a boom change out on a 9400 this week. No lips on the Liebherr pins. 24.5 bushes frozen and slotted in on one shift. Note the 0.5 :(
Ran out of liquid cold did we..?
It's like your Mum's baking. You have to leave the bushes in the oven to cook long enough to be completely done, otherwise you're batting a loser when it comes to installing them in one fell swoop. I always wait until the LN2 stops bubbling, that's what tells me whatever's in there ain't gonna get any colder.

Slidey

Occupation
HD fitter
Ran out of liquid cold did we..?
It's like your Mum's baking. You have to leave the bushes in the oven to cook long enough to be completely done, otherwise you're batting a loser when it comes to installing them in one fell swoop. I always wait until the LN2 stops bubbling, that's what tells me whatever's in there ain't gonna get any colder.
A fable I’ve heard before and one I learned the hard lesson with on main bucket pin on a 994f loader. Learned after that preheating is the only solution in that case.

Nah, loads of nitrogen, and it had plenty of time. Problem was it was on the stick that was on the ground, main stick to boom pin and the internal bore that’s a dead end. Lying on the ground and it got a bit crooked, from there it was like kicking a football up a hill. A loosing battle

Nige

A fable I’ve heard before and one I learned the hard lesson with on main bucket pin on a 994f loader. Learned after that preheating is the only solution in that case.
994F B Pin. They're a sliding fit into the loader arm. The flag on the outside retains the pin. Or were you referring to installing the bush into the end of the loader arm.?

My experience with that bush is that provided the loader arm bore diameter is within spec then OEM bushes (but not necessarily aftermarket ones) will slide straight in with a little help from a hardwood block - but you have to get them lined up right. Get them cocked to start with and you're comprehensivley Donald Ducked however much you beat on them. Is it the purple bush in the drawing below you're on about.? Parts Numbers might be a bit outdated now, this is an old drawing. The two green bushes are supposted to float BTW.

upload_2020-12-22_14-14-30.png

Last edited:

seatwarmer

Occupation
Enterprise Engineer
Currently 84 & sunny. Slight chance of rain showers this afternoon.
The 25th will just be another work day........ SWMBO not happy..!
SWMBO must be a very tolerant lady, mine would have launched me into orbit around the sun with a kick in the arse. :oops:

hosspuller

Some calculations on sling lengths (fronts have to be +/- 2ft longer than the rears) to get the angle of dangle of the lower frame correct might also not go amiss.

Check in with Craneop ... I think he has a plethora of chain falls. A couple in the front or rear would make for easy fine adjusting.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Wasn't planning to anyway. I have a short trip to Colombia via Panama when I do finally bail out of here. Including the layover in Panama the total journey is only about 5 hours. Miserable UK winters are not my idea of fun, Covid or not.
We are lucky where we live. Being an island and self-governing the drawbridge was pulled up very early in the piece. it's easy to control arrivals when you only have one airport and one ferry port. People are free to leave but anyone arriving has to quarantine for 14 days. As a result of that we have no social distancing requirements, no mask-wearing, pubs, restaurants, cinemas, gyms, etc are all open. Basically life goes on as normal apart from the restrictions when arriving. The only cases of Covid since May 20 have been in people who developed symptoms during self-isolation having recently arrived on the island from outside. So nothing (so far fingers crossed) has got out into the wider community for over 6 months now.

I can be packed in an hour. A 14 day quarantine would be a short sleep compared to the continued restrictions our dictator governor has put on and keeps extending on the common small business people here.

Slidey

Occupation
HD fitter
:D
994F B Pin. They're a sliding fit into the loader arm. The flag on the outside retains the pin. Or were you referring to installing the bush into the end of the loader arm.?

My experience with that bush is that provided the loader arm bore diameter is within spec then OEM bushes (but not necessarily aftermarket ones) will slide straight in with a little help from a hardwood block - but you have to get them lined up right. Get them cocked to start with and you're comprehensivley Donald Ducked however much you beat on them. Is it the purple bush in the drawing below you're on about.? Parts Numbers might be a bit outdated now, this is an old drawing. The two green bushes are supposted to float BTW.

yeah, sorry, I did mean bush. Only off Nighshift and the brain hasn’t quite re-aligned with reality. They may well have been aftermarket and it had just been line-bored. Not all liner borers are created equal as I’m sure some know.

My first christmas off in about 7 years I think. Normally don’t mind working them tbh, this festive season is a mile stone birthday for me so herself insisted I be home for it