• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

On the Road Again

Slidey

Occupation
HD fitter
I'd bin the 460 oil and use SAE60 FDAO instead. Works much better and pumps like a dream compared to factory-spec EP oils.
The improvement in oil analysis results by switching from EP to powertrain oil was startling.

As a further comment the ambient temperatures here are close to what you would see in the Pilbara. Maybe not quite as high but certainly in the ball park.
I had thought about that, in peak summer ambient temp would be mid 40s for a few months. So far this year we have got away lightly as it happens.

I think it may have something to do with services happening in pit. The service trucks have limited compartments so they “hedge their bets” a bit to try and cater for all the machines on site

Slidey

Occupation
HD fitter
You could say that. I saw two 996s burn to the ground on the same mine.
And that was despite Liebherr having a full maintenance contract to look after them............
We have 5 996b and 6 9400 here that I work on.
The 9400 aren’t too bad for the most part. The 996, they can test you!

One thing I will say about Liebherr, the pins always come out and go in easy which is a blessing the way we go through cylinders!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
One thing I will say about Liebherr, the pins always come out and go in easy which is a blessing the way we go through cylinders!
Maybe that's an issue with oil as well.?
I had a mate of mine in Tanzania going through all sorts of cylinders on Cat 992G/K wheel loaders like there was no tomorrow. Turned out it was the poor quality hydraulic oil they were buying. It was an Indian oil brand - think the geography of Africa's East Coast. A straight shot across the Indian Ocean to "local" oil suppliers. Came across the same issue with the "high performance" grease they were using. I wouldn't have greased my ute with it........

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Those programs work OK when they are in a continuous program. They don't work when you have a dealer that does one or two every other year. The rule of thumb I was taught many years ago was that the cost of the rebuild could be no more than 65% of new and the life cycle had to get to around 70% of a new machine in order to work. That becomes problematic when using a factory supplied guide to reusable parts. The other issue is that mother Cat would rather sell new machines than support any dealer rebuilds. Today dealerships are run by accountants who are incredibly risk averse. They don't like to carry a warranty for any amount of time on huge components.

Nige

What kind of warranty?
Identical to a new machine. After a certified Rebuild like that each truck is assigned a new Serial Number from the factory to reflect its "new" status. e.g. for a 793D an original truck Serial Number would be FDB00xxx, for a Certified Rebuild the S/N would be FDB75xxx.

AzIron

Empire spent 10 million just building that componrlet shop we dug footings on it every day has a crane the footings are enormous

As an empire customer my whole life when I was growing up we could not afford to run anything but cat they were 110 percent behind there product these days not quite as much it's not anything like it was

They spent so much on catering to mining customers that when the mines are busy developing buissness with us little guys is a waste of time but when the mines are closed your beating away salesman with a stick

But they were a major asset in cats development of how dealer service standards are and the 2nd life programs mainly because cat has there mine facility south of tucson and they used to have a proving grounds out on the westside of Phoenix so empire was here developing with cat it didn't hurt that the founder was one of the best customer service guys around he was really a neat guy

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I would have to ask if those trucks are part of the Cat certified program? My experience with Cat dealers is that they can’t do a certified rebuild for less than half new. All the requirements put machine costs over 80% of new.

Nige

I know they did Certifed Rebuilds because quite a few of them ended up in S America in the dealership I worked for.
No idea on pricing for trucks but on the big loaders in round numbers a Certified Rebuild would go about 60% of new price. I probably still have the New vs CCR numbers from years back. I think between the two product lines the cost difference could be simply one of scale. Far more trucks get CCR'd than loaders.