• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Older Safety Issue

Tiny

Old Guy Safety Issue

Last week I was reading a construction magazine at work (don't recall the name) and I noticed in the back it lists accidents,causes , the persons name , age and severity of injury.

The thing that stuck me wasn't the accidents themselves but the age of the person . In the magazine I had most were in their high 40s to low 60s . That really made me take notice .

Not sure if being complacent is the biggest factor or not . I do think its a factor.

Now I don't want the older gentlemen to think I'm picking on them because I'm one of you . (Will be 52 at the end of November)

So older Gents tell us what you think.Was that magazine a fluke or is there something to that?

The reason I ask.....I don't want to be listed in that magazine.

Last edited:

mitch504

The average age of us is increasing, if you haven't noticed.
Also, you may have noticed that injuries that we would have shrugged off at 20, stall you out at 40, and I can only imagine how it is for you seniors.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
I wonder if the older workers getting injured aren't a product of the economy.

By that I mean people out of work in thier field, finding work in other fields where they have no experience.....and without the reflexs of a 20 year old........they are getting hurt. :beatsme

grandpa

I find many things that could lead to the outcome of this study....1) Never believe what you read and only half of what you see 2)What were the parameters of the Study? 3) What was the age group of those studied? 4) But the real main reason I believe the report to be a bunch of hoooouie,, Is that at age 52 I question the ability of this thread author to remember for a seven day span......:lmao:lmao:lmao:falldownlaugh

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Statistically the most accident age groups are the 18 to 26 due to inexperience,and 50+ due to the body wearing out.Remember poor joints,poorer eye sight,hearing slower reflexes etc etc. This is a world wide phenomena same with the age groups involved over here.

Last edited:

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Some stats form Ireland

Agriculture, hunting and forestry Total 13 deaths

Less than 18 years 5.7%
Between 18 and 24 years 8.1%
Between 25 and 34 years 6.9%
Between 35 and 44 years 8.2%
Between 45 and 54 years 13.1%
Between 55 and 64 years 20.9%
65 years and over 45.1%

Construction Total 10 deaths
Less than 18 years 3%
Between 18 and 24 years 7.6%
Between 25 and 34 years 7.7%
Between 35 and 44 years 9.1%
Between 45 and 54 years 11.6%
Between 55 and 64 years 16.2%
65 years and over 18.9%

Figure 65 presents the incident rate for selected economic sectors by selected member states. The two highestrisk
sectors in Ireland – agriculture (A) and construction (F) – were selected for this query. Irish rates are
compared to those for the EU15, Sweden and the UK.
Ireland’s non-fatal incident rate is considerably below the EU15 average in both agriculture and construction.
Figure 65: Comparison of incidence rates in all sectors/agriculture/construction for EU15 and selected EU
states 2000-2004
Sector key: A = Agriculture, F = Construction

Dmconstruct

Occupation
Operating Engineer Crane Op
The last annual safety meeting I attended discussed that the most accident prone age group was in fact 40 - 60 yr olds. The instructor stated that these gentlemen get complacent cocky and arrogant. " I've done it this way a thousand times" Eventhough it was this last time that got the someone in the crew hurt.

GAmeric

Hmm seems like I heard that alot when I was workign as an engineer with a large company. A majority of the accident reports going around we typically 40 and up occasionally it was 20-30 range but then it was a new engineer or surveyor doing something stupid.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
No titty mags ?

Hmmm, Garrie this is a heavy equipment forum. There are many other venues on the 'net that supply all sorts of information, however this is not one of them...:cool2