• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

older CAT D3

Reel hip

Occupation
owner operator bobcat"s and dump truck"s
I have a friend that wants me to look at a D3. He is getting it for free. I have limited information on this machine and honestly know very little about dozers. He told me the owner said it will need a transmission. Also it has sat for some time. I know it would be a project and it could add up in a hurry. He said it is a mid 70's machine. Are parts availiable? How much does it weigh? and I am also wondering if I can get it on my trailer(12 ton) Any information you guys could give me would be more than what I have right know. Thanks Doug

DPete

My chart says 11925 lbs, probably bare tractor, average auction price $11K for mid 70's D3

truckdoctor

Occupation
mechanic
Parts availability should be good. Cat will have the parts if the machine is that new. Also the aftermarket companies should have most of the common replacement parts available as well. Price for Cat parts is going to be higher than aftermarket for the most part. If you got the dozer for free, you could put quite a bit of money into it before you would be upside down price wise. That also depends on how bad the rest of the machine is.