• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Older 1840 Case drive Chain / Axle installation

Chuck

Occupation
Engineer
I've got a 1992 case 1840, this is an early one that does not have the fiberglass covers over all the drive cogs on top of the chain cases.

I recently had the wheel bearings go bad on the left front axle housing. Taking it apart and replacing the bearings was pretty easy and straight forward, but putting it back together was a huge PAIN. I figure there had to be a trick that I don't know. Any suggestions to make the next go around easier?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
What part of reassembly in particular did you find so difficult Chuck?
I would guess feeding the chain over the sprocket while trying to support the hub assembly? I usually support the weight of the hub/axle on some timber blocks while fitting the chain.
Just keep the packet of bandaids handy :rolleyes:
Take a good look around the chain case as that model had a habit of cracking around the lower part of the frame at the hub areas....

Chuck

Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, that is a real b*****d. I rotated the housing 90 degrees so I could get my hand in there. But its still really tight and the damn bolts are handing out there in the way. I was wondering if there was a way to put the cog in first and then bolt it onto the axle later but I couldn't figure out how to do that without cutting a hole somewhere (which is why I assume the reason they later changed the design)