• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old trailer.

zr580

Does anybody have any info on this trailer? It has a 25,000 lb gvw. It also has hydraulic brakes with a manual park brake. The problem that I have is that the braking equipment is gone. some one cut all the brake lines and cables. I don't have any info on manufacturer to replace the missing parts. Any help would be appriciated.:beatsme trailer10.jpg

trailer11.jpg

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF zr580! :drinkup

In answer to your question, here are a couple sites to check out. I've used both for buying various replacements for my trailer. While parts for that trailer might no longer be available, both offer retrofits for some models. The second site is geared slightly more toward marine but they have a long list of standard parts too.

Northern Tool

Champion Trailers

Now for a question of my own. :D

I must say that I have never seen a suspension system quite like that. I can see how it works but fail to see why a standard suspension would've not been used. Is there a reason this suspension was used, like a special purpose or something?

zr580

Thanks for the info. I assume it has to do with there is no axles underneath. Possibly a ground clearance issue so as not to get hung up on things. It make for a very low trailer or if the bar on top is shortened, it could be raised. Pretty neat setup. I can't seem to find any info on it though. It doesn't appear to be a one off. So there must be more out there. The problem is that it has a 25,000 lb gvw rating and a 2 5/16" ball set up. I would like to keep that rating so if I ever sell it, it will still be usefull for heavy equipment. The trailer isn't very big(16' long and 7' wide). I assume it was for a bobcat or something along those lines. Possibly even military application.

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome zr580!:drinkup

That is an interesting suspension set up. Are you sure the trailer ID plate says 25k? That trailer does not look like it could tote that kind of weight. A 25k GVW will have dual tire tandem axles or single tire triple axles with electric or air brakes. From the picture the axles look like the ones they use for mobile homes. Just my nosy $.02 - wouldn't want you to get into trouble pulling something - or worse end up on the "what not to do with a trailer" thread.:D

Good luck.

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
Just about the time I thought I'd seen it ALL...

Does anybody have any info on this trailer? It has a 25,000 lb gvw. It also has hydraulic brakes with a manual park brake. The problem that I have is that the braking equipment is gone. some one cut all the brake lines and cables. I don't have any info on manufacturer to replace the missing parts. Any help would be appriciated.:beatsme View attachment 7744

View attachment 7745

I think I know what the mfg.'s name is... I think it's a "Me and Earl out in the welding shop, Inc." The serial number is most likely...# 1. and I don't imagine there's a # 2...:D
Like CM1995 said, it's definitely not a 25K GVW. Maybe according to "Me and Earl", but I'd be suspicious to believe it's a 12K GVW maximum. I wouldn't go betting the farm that there's a huge parts inventory for this 'ol gal either. Something tells me, based on my observation, that you might want to have your toolbox handy at all times while pulling this thing around, too.
Seriously, and no insult intended, it looks like a home brewed trailer to me. It'll take an engineering background to figure out who built it if it is by chance made by a legitimate manufacturer. It sure is unique though.:drinkup

Springs and components could probably be found at your local spring shop. Just be prepared for some "fun-poking" if you tow it down there for the service manager to check it out.:D

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
I'll second that looks like somebody had some spare time on their hands.

Spare time? Looks like they were unemployed and tired of watching Jerry Springer.

I'd imagine if you were to put something that weighed in heavy enough to gross out at 25K GVW, that trailer would take on a whole new look. The springs would probably be horizontal by then.:D :drinkup

wrenchbender

Sorta Home brewed

Now guys I have seen a couple of this style trailers around. I'm not sure but I think that they came as a kit and"Me and Earl" welded them up. I've seen Bobcats and Ditch Witches being hauled on them. From what I can see the weight limit is a little off though, looks like 2 - 7,000 lbs axels to me and if my math is still ok that's 14,000 lbs. The design is for ground clearence issues and still keep a low profile. But it's kinda tough trying to haul a car on them cause you have to play like the dukes of Hazzard co. & crawl out the window.lol

Alan

Charter Member
I doubt the 25K GVW myself. I don't think a 2 5/16" ball is rated anywhere near that load. It looks homegrown to me but there has been some REALLY wierd stuff come out of factories for specialized usage.

Komatsu 150

I think the home made parts are the top links. They should be hydraulic cylinders which would lower the deck to the ground. Our equipment rental has one something like this. They use it to load double drum steel rollers and other stuff that doesn't like steep ramps.

smalltime

I was thinking the same as Komatsu, I would say it is for a roller. The axels look a little heavier than a standard mobile home, but I too doubt it could handle 25,000 lbs. You may look for brake answers from someone who sells mobile home axles like Superior Tire & Axel in Elkhart, Indiana. It looks a little like an early version of some of the trailers I see at sun-belt rental yards.

wrenchbender

After reading Komatsu 150 & smalltime's post I think that maybe the ones I've seen might have been from rental companies. Never looked real close at them but as ya'll said if those top links were hydraulic she set right on the ground for loading.

bigblueox

looks kinda like the trailer jlg makes for their man lifts except 30 years ahead or behind its time. depending on how u look at it

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Since we are talking trailers, anybody know anything about La Crosse trailers? I bought one to haul my D2 around on, it's a tilt deck with twin axles. 8'6" X 10' with a walking beam axle, rated at 15000 pounds. Looks like you could drop a bomb on it without hurting it.
Judging by the styling, I'd say it was made in the late 50's or early 60's, and was once owned by the state of Nebraska dept. of Roads. I got it for $500, and it needs some work, but it ought to haul the cat in fine style.
Just wondered if anyone knows if the manufactuer was still in business?
alan627b

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
lowering trailer reply

Someone posted a trailer and asked a few questions about it. It was a self lowereing trailer. I found a new one so took a few shots so you could see what it looks like.

This one was rated for 9999lb gross which makes it a good trailer for the rental co. that ownes it.

Who ever moved this thanks!!

Attachments

• lift trailer tyler.jpg
    lift trailer tyler.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 158
  • lift trailer tyler02.jpg
    lift trailer tyler02.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 156
Last edited: