1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Old Rusted and Tired

Discussion in 'Old Iron!' started by DMiller, Mar 31, 2021.

1. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    But still used.
    Been working in the company sand plant recently, finally found enough paint to ID Make of Lattice boom where thought it was a Mani. And then the Wash/separator plant is partially antique and partially recent add ons as old parts rusted away, they only use the Mani for maneuvering the sand separator pieces anymore. The tow is Miss Melba, unmoved for close to thirty years, power train from screws to engines all gone.

IMG_9195.JPG IMG_9196.JPG IMG_9198.JPG IMG_9197.JPG

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  2. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    The motor grader they still use on the haul roads. Old 112F Not gotten out to see ID Tag for S/N.
    Old ALL Mechanical, hand pounder.

IMG_9273.JPG

3. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

that was my first grader experience at the school. Fond memories.

Spud_Monkey and DMiller like this.
  4. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

you must be a young whipersnaper my first experience was pulling a road grader i thought the early 112s were great one guy could do it all.

5. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

I didn't sign up 8 years ago and put 'old' in front of my name, no. :D

6. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

just kidding in the late 80s i worked for a guy that had 3 HD11s. We cleared out a road that hadnt been used in years and he borrowed a grader to use on it. IT was ever bit as long as a motorgrader and i had to back it in a small driveway to turn around. The first time i got off and watched him do it then after that i learned to back it. my boss was a great guy and very good teacher i learned alot of old school stuff from him he know alot but he told me he learned from a guy that could put him to shame.

7. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    Boys at the sand plant been having some difficulties with the old dredge, would be in the river then at the bank and swarms of people all over it. Turns out they share between two site points and I suspect at either end there are those that believe they can patch it just enough to reman viable for a 'While' to ship to the other. So they have been repairing patch ups when the Jet Pump engine decided after months of injection system malfunctions to eat at least one hole. Engine is a smallish Deere industrial, appears to be a Bored block not sleeved, replacement is a small Cummins around 80 hp BIGGER, should be a treat to see what the fabricobbling ends up delivering next week when back to anchor sucking sand.

Old photo of the dredge as it passed the power station intake many MANY moons ago.

IMG_1295.JPG IMG_1297.JPG

8. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    Still amazing the amount of tonnage removed from the river and ALWAYS more sand to suck up. And BTW, the smaller push tow is the Miss Melba I showed on the bank at the sand plant, been awhile since this photo taken.

Tones likes this.
  9. Tones

Tones Senior Member

Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
    Ah ha ,the 112, same engine as the D2, rope start pony motor, good gadgets in their day.

DMiller likes this.