• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

old motors??'s

Old Doug

Seems like some old coils could be easily refurbished with some redneck injun'newtie
or Yankee ingenuity.

This is very easy to do all that you have to do is drill a hole in the cap to hook the coil wire to . You use the points in the mag. I did this some on cat pony motors.

fixou812

Occupation
Millwright Equipment Mechanic Welder
Great idea Doug I never thought of that! There's two onan gas motors for sale here on Craig's list barter section gasoline twins
just what miss Kalabash thinks i need. ...more Junk'

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I still have a drawer with old magnetos in it.... should have thrown them away thirty years ago. But I look at them and then remember the times people that didn't know better would hold them, snap them over the impulse and then jump like a crazy man when it bites them.... I close the draw back up. lol.

That reminded me of a guy at work many years ago. He was a welder and had an old gas welder of his own at home. It was not running right due to a bad magneto so he pulled it and sent it to the repair shop to get rebuilt. He got it back and while looking it over turned the drive and tripped the impulse. Yea he dropped it and pieces went flying! Next time he got it rebuilt he did not check it out before installing it!

FSERVICE

I still have a drawer with old magnetos in it.... should have thrown them away thirty years ago. But I look at them and then remember the times people that didn't know better would hold them, snap them over the impulse and then jump like a crazy man when it bites them.... I close the draw back up. lol.

LMAO!!! I can see you letting someone do that to :) I have 1 laying on the bench at the shop, low & behold bout 1 time a week someone will pick it up & for whatever reason try & spin it!! I get cussed, threatened everytime!! I just say don't touch anything else while your here!! most of them remember it the next time they come into the shop & keep their hands in their pockets:) LOL

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
This also reminds me of some of the guys I knew back in college. Many were electronic types some of whom would sit around in their spare time drawing up circuits for amplifiers and such, this was back when things were still done with resistors and capacitors before IC's Well one of the "games" they like to play on people was to take a capacitor and charge it up and then toss it to someone unsuspecting to catch. As you probably know that capacitor will discharge if you were unlucky to touch both ends when you caught it!

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
Well one of the "games" they like to play on people was to take a capacitor and charge it up and then toss it to someone unsuspecting to catch.

My shop teacher did that to the greenhorns in small engines class. For the life of them they couldn't figure out how that happened.