• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old Lincoln Welder

TCat

None of you have a Bullet/Torpedo 250-Now that's a high production welder good for any top notch fab shop.

But I'm not a welder.View attachment 227518
I bought one of those at an auction one time. Got carried away and didn't notice it was 3ph. Fortunately I didn't pay much for it. Couldn't use it at home and couldn't sell it for even peanuts. Ended up scrapping it. Shame.

Welder Dave

Old 3 phase Lincoln generators are a dime a dozen but very good welders. The vertical "Bullet" welders even had an Aircrafter model where you could hook up a foot pedal remote control to use for stick welding. They were basically an electric SA200 but vintage SA200's still command a premium price. Fully restored versions can sell for $8000+. A 3 phase bullet can often be had for less than $100.

Welder Dave

I think Bill's Welder Repair posted a serial number list for old Lincoln machines on their website. The old manuals also list the year they were written to give you an idea how old your machine is.

terex herder

Those electric drive generator welders are wonderful for deaf welders. The whine of the brushes is pretty noisy. The electric bill is pretty steep, too. I had a SAE 400, 40hp electric motor. Swept about a 40' circle in the shop the fan was so strong. You could use 1/2" steel rod for an electrode, but you better be suited up. Good thing I wasn't on a demand meter.

Welder Dave

I worked in a shop that did chromium carbide overlay on pipe. Only way to get it off so the pipes could be joined was gouging with large flat carbons. There were 2 of them sitting in a corner. The machine they were using at the time was an old Hobart CV machine 500 or 600 amps. CV is apparently better for gouging at high amps because amps aren't limited to a setting.