• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old Hy-Hoe

Farmer Hy Hoe

Old Hy Hoe Track jamming

I’m pleased to see that there are still a number of people interested in the old Hy Hoe, which is not produced any more and that there are some of these machines still in operation. I have what seems to be a 680 (I can’t tell for sure because there is no indication on the machine itself to tell me it is, but from the pictures posted earlier in this thread, it looks to be a 680.) I have some problems with one side of the track, which have developed lately. When the machine goes forward or backward, one side seems to catch and jam to the point that the track seems to try to get off the wheel. I have the impression there is a broken bearing inside somewhere. I am in need of a maintenance or operator manual to check it out. Does anyone know how I could get one? I would appreciate very much know where to find one.

Farmer Hy Hoe

Manual

I am looking for a manual for a 680 old Hy Hoe. There is one posted on eBay, from Indonesia. Can anyone tell me whether this is genuine or a scam?

td25c

Hi Farmer Hy Hoe.Dose your hoe have the "crane" type undercarige or "tractor"type? Mine uses the tractor type and several years back I had a similiar problem with the track jamming at the rear sprocket & trying to walk off.Turns out we found a broken snap ring on the axil shaft that had fell out letting the sprocket move around on the splined axil shaft causing the trouble.This is accessable from the outside.We ended up making a two piece snap ring that bolted together so I could install it on the axil without pulling the final appart.Scroll back to post # 55 pic # 2 is the breakdown on my hoe.# 24 is the snap rings on each side of the drive sprocket.Good luck with it.

Ilio

Occupation
Construction
Hi Farmer Hy Hoe. Unless your machine has been modified (which I've seen, but is hardly worth it), you have a 'shovel or 'crane' type undercarriage. They weren't making anything else at the time. Flat pads with cast in drive links, stress poof pins, tumbler sprockets and old style, greasable, upper and lower rollers, no recoil spring and a bolt style track adjuster. Everything is totally rebuildable with a welding machine. To buy new would bankrupt you. I have rebuilt mine twice and it is in pretty good working order. It was built in Wisconsin. The company later moved to Arnprior Ont. where, in the 80,s they went under and was bought out by Mid Canada Supply & Services (also Can Bear, out of Buffalo N.Y.) in Hamilton Ont. The remaining stock was sold off a few years ago.
The problem you're having could be a number of things. If the sprocket to pad-link contact is good, I would check the output shaft splines and the mating sprocket hub slines. That's usually it. Also, it's a good idea to have a slit collar spacer, rather than the snap ring to tighten up the clearances. If the splines are sheared, it would be cheaper to mill 3 or 4 key slots than to make a new shaft and hub. The intermediate pinion shaft and driven gear can pile up on the final drive (bull) gear, which will cause the drive to sieze up and sometimes give that jumping feeling. Preload on the bearings is pretty important, but more-so is the acceptance. that these machines, that were revolutionary for their time (and a long time afterwards), were meant to be used as a stationary digging platform that could move from spot to spot. They could not negotiate steep slopes or have excessive spoil (sand, etc.) build up in the undercarriage. Remember, no recoil spring or hyd. track adjuster. Something has to go. Usually the splines.
I have the manual for that machine and a breakdown of the gear box, but it won't do you much good. It was a poor manual and the numbers don't crossover. You're better off to take it apart and it will explain itself. The beauty of these machines is that everything is available. Just not from the dealer. Most gears are Eaton-Rockwell. Pumps are Commercial Shearing gear pumps. Transmission is Funk. Turntable is Rotek. Valves are mostly Huscoe. Cylinder packings are 'V' packings or can be modified with 'U' seals. The newer tractor type undercarriages (on the 1500, 3000 to the 6000) are all Caterpillar and are available through Berco. They have recoil springs, etc.
Just in case anyone is interested, i'm thinking of selling my 685B

Groundupcustom

Occupation
Fork lift operator
Please help with HY-HOE information

Hi can anybody help me find information where i can buy books or repair manuals or parts for my HY-HOE Excavator . Model # 5000tt . serial # A001088 . also can someone tell me what this machine weighs ? . i would be grateful for any information .

Ilio

Occupation
Construction
The last books and engineering drawings I saw, were in a locker, under a leaking roof, in the (last) Hy Hoe factory-warehouse, in Hamilton Ont. about 8-10? years ago. The building was subsequently condemmed, the contents were sold off and the property was seized and sold by the city for the non payment of property taxes. A Mosque now stands in its place. It was a sad ending to a great company and era. I have manuals, some crossover #'s, and original sales brochures for some of the Hy Hoe line. I don't think I want to sell the stuff at this point, but when I've got some time I coud make some copies.
The undercarriage on the 5000TT is a Caterpillar D6 or 5. Pretty sure it's a 6. The part #'s will be stamped on the links, etc. I got my last undercarriage (Berco) from Equipment Sales and Service. Use the part #'s and don't tell them it's for a Hy Hoe, or you'll start drawing blanks.
The serial #'s mean very little. Other than cosmetics (shrouding), there were few mechanical changes. The hyd. cylinders were either Wolfedale or King. Irrelavant though, as 'V' packings were the norm. Though I have had great success with 'U' seals.
I'm looking at the general spec.'s in the sales brochure and it lists the 5000TT at 52,220 pounds approx.
In good working order, you can bury a 225 Cat!!

Ilio

Occupation
Construction
:pointheadjust got hy hoe 480e #38 trying to find owners manual? would like to find out year weight and what engine came in it ? currently has 353 dosnt look origanal thanks mike:

Hi Mike. Saw your post. The year of the machine should be in the serial #. The specs. I have for the 480 are: Weight - 19,600 pounds, rating is a 1/2 cubic yard to 1 yd. for loading. Mostly sold 1968-70. Engine was Det. 353. There was little or no shrouding over components at rear.
The 485 came fully shrouded, was listed as 3/4 yd. (5/8 struck capacity, also 1 yd. loading) and weighed in at 24,600 pounds. It came with a 2 valve 353 and also was available with a 2 valve 453, rated at 107 BHP
I couldn't find the price, but just to compare to today, the original factory list, in 1970 for the 600 was $29,845.00
The truck mounted units were about $10,000.00 less.
Forgot to mention in a previous thread that the valves were also Parker Hannifin.

richardq

Hello,
I am located near Rigaud QC, and have owned a hyhoe 685 for some 23 years. It is in better condition now than when it was purchased. I am looking for a parts machine especially the commercial hyd motor on the track drive. This machine has a V6 cummins diesel engine, which is a little noisy. The water pump seal and bearing was replaced last year. But, now the radiator is leaking.
Most of the seals and bearing are standard GBS, NTN parts. I have had to make a fix for the swing gearbox that seems to work well.
But lately, the thought has been to buy something like a cat 215b or c, vintage 1990 or plus.
But what would you be asking for your hyhoe?
richard

Ilio

Occupation
Construction
Hello Richard. Sorry I haven't responded to your post till now. I've been out of the country and just saw your post today. If you're still interested in that 685B Hy-Hoe of mine, I'd be interested in talking with you. It's been on a job while I've been gone, so I'll be going to the site to sort out any issues and could take a few photos of it. I'll have to give a little thought to what I might want for it.
Let me know if you're still interested and we'll trade contact #'s and we'll talk soon. Doesn't sound like we're that far from each other, so seeing the machine wouldn't be too much of a journey.
Ilio

Bunner

Occupation
Farmer
Hi all,
I have a 3300TT and I need the back left shroud, which covers the hydraulic pumps. Its all I need to complete the exterior of the machine. Any one know where I might find one?

Last edited:

classictruckman

Occupation
Tree Climber/339A Crane Operator
This picture was taken near Arnprior,Ontario about ten years ago.I believe they were also manufactured near Toronto,but not sure.There was a fence so I could'nt get to close for a more thourough look.:D
Looked alright and a decent size undercarriage.Single exhaust,6-71 power?

Dominion

Hey Dominion I live in Arnprior, any idea where that pic was taken?

Bunner

Occupation
Farmer
Hi Ilio
You would not have any manuals or information on a 3300TT excavator??????
Anything would be appreciated.

Ilio

Occupation
Construction
Hi Bunner
I'm not sure if I still have the manual for the 3300TT, but I do have the original sales brochure. I wouldn't try to upload it on my rural dial-up connection, but when I have the time I'd be glad to copy and mail it to you. I still have some parts that would fit your 3300. A few original Hy-Hoe buckets for the 3300. An original (unused) digging bucket and wrist-o-twist ditching bucket (missing the hyd. cylinder). I also have a new (unused) factory cab that would fit your machine. I might have some shrouding too. The 3300 was an updated version of the 685 'B'. Certain areas, such as weight, tracks, final drives and swing systems were upgraded to remain competative, but booms, stick, cylinders, engine and pumps remained basically the same. The final drives and swing planetary gearboxes and pump drives were (for the most part) the same for the 3300 TT, 5000 TT and 6000 TT. The output (pinion) shaft, would be the the main difference.
For the 3300 TT, a 10' stick was standard. The counter weight was 5000 lbs. The factory engine was a Detroit 453-four valve 130 bhp. Hydraulic operating pressure was 2050 psi. with the relief valves set at 2200 psi. I usually set mine about 100 to 200 psi. higher. Tank pressure was 7 psi, regulated by a rad cap. Two speed boom and dipper regenerating valve was standard. The swing valve, along with incoporating the plunger for the boom assist, usually had an auxilliary plunger for attachments. The 2 main pumps were rated at 53 GPM and the swing pump at 26 GPM.
Weight of the machine was approx. 44,300 lbs. Ground pressure is 4.7 psi
Let me know if there is anything else you'd like to know.

Bunner

Occupation
Farmer
Thats great information Ilio, thanks.

I will get back to you with my address or I might take a drive to Perth to see what parts I could use. Won't be until September, so busy with the farm and a few family weddings this summer.

td25c

Thats a good question leonpona.Never had any trouble with the swing box yet on my 3300 .Have you got it apart ? I do have the service manual if it would be any help.I believe it was built by DANA corp as are the finals. This old 685 has been on www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=2345056& for a few years now.It looks similar to the 3300,I keep thinking to call them to see if they would sell me the cab door off of it.You may just have a bad bearing ,hopefully its something simple.

leonpona

Thanks td 25c for respond . Yes you are right I need all 3 or 4 bearings. The rest looks ok . I took it a part 3 years ago and never have time to go back to it but now is the time . So where I can get those bearings at good price?