• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old grader near me.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
I recently saw that our local township road dept has parked their "old" grader out in front. I suspect it is going to be sold soon, as they recently got a "newer" Case grader from the county. A lot of us can probably remember when this was a "new" grader. That is showing our age. I would bet the newer Case never lasts as long as this old JD 670. If I get a chance, I hope to find a vin plate on it with a build date. I would bet it is at least 30 years old and has never spent a night indoors. It is a straight looking old machinegrader 1.jpggrader 2.jpg
Jeff

skyking1

I remember when Olson Brothers had a brand new one of those it was the main machine for housing developments.
A part of me wants one badly. The rest of me keeps that part in line. ( crack of a whip, don't touch!)
One day they left a case of upside down orange in it, and the kids painted the whole thing, windows and all.
ROFLEmoji.jpg

Truck Shop

Operated one for the construction co. I worked for years ago. It was the most reliable
thing they had.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Update: I talked to one of the Township Trustees today, and he told me this old grader is a 1976 model. They kept it in perfect operating condition, however, the last couple of major parts they needed were very hard to get. He said they were told JD was not doing much in the way of parts support for those old machines. This old machine has gone on to the local county fairgrounds where it will keep their dirt track maintained during fairs and events. The old thing is about 47 years old now, with some life left in it. I bet their newer Case grader does not last that long.
Jeff

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Tucked up in a switchback I got a 1 second glance an a very old CAT grader,
as the tour bus drove us by:
I didn't have any time to snap a pix.
I was told it runs just fine, and keeps the mountain road maintained, and plows the snow as well.