• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

old ford needs help

Tulp

My neibour haas a 91 ford 9000 with a 3176 cat in it. it seems like when it gets hot it shuts down, like you shut the key off. and will not even fire when cranked over, but if it sits for a while it will fire up and run like a new one.
it was very intermitent but is getting worse.
the local truck shop says they don't have the program to diagnose it and aren't interested in getting it. Just wondering if anyone has had this same problem, or if any one has a schematic for the engine ecm and harness or cats trouble shooting guide for this engine?
thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer.

1080 bobcat

Occupation
self employed mechainc
sound like fuel shutdown solnoid going bad they have redesign them several time to improve the life of them

Tulp

just up to operating temp not over heating. It does seem like a fuel shut off. but there doesn't seem to be an external solenoid, is the shut off in the ECM or does the ecm just close the injectors?

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
its not the same, but my 3176 in my Ford 9000, started missing. What was happening was the water level sending unit was bad and telling the computer, Hey you are about to run out of water, lets derate the engine, so the driver will look at his guages. OK guages are reading OK, but thats the reason the engine loses power and sometimes the ECM will cut the engine off, after it derates. I have a friend that works for Cat and he does work on the side. He hooked his laptop to the ECM and found out it was the water level sending unit. He went in the ECM and cut the sending unit off. He also told me I had a cylinder that was showing up a little weak and I will have to replace the injector soon. 3 weeks later, I replaced the injector
Its really hard for someone like us to do anything with a computer engine, without a computer and Cat program. I have Cat coming to my shop tomorrow and setting the horsepower up on my C13, $450.00 flat rate.
If you have a Cat dealer in your area, its best to take it to them, or let them come to you. If you see a Cat service truck, stop them and see of they work on the side. They are not supposed to, but $$$$$'s talk
Take a temp gun and check all the cylinders, see if there is alot of difference, also check the water temp and compare it to the engine guage. You might have a water temp sending unit, going bad and telling the computer that you are running HOT and you need to shut down. I think my truck runs about 190-200 degrees.
Good Luck

thabull

Occupation
owner of diesel injection repair shop & mobile rep
Tulp have you checked the fuel shut of silinoid, If not wait till it quits and wont start and pour some cool water on the silinoid should start if thats it ! Just remember GM done a study and found that 90% of computors that were replaced were not bad that only 10% actually bad usally when the mechanic runs into a dead end in diagnosing the prob. they chang the computor and 90% of the time they end up with mud on their face. cant get techical till all the basics are covered! hope this helps! doc dsl.

1080 bobcat

Occupation
self employed mechainc
I belive it being 91 model this engine should be a mechaical unit injector engine The shutdown solnoid will 3 wires going to it its on the governer it be a round and will have little button sticking out of it in the middle