• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old conventionals at work

Tugger2

My 40 ton back driving some piles with the Ice Vibro. Seems theres a surprise in every pile , that one was to do 4 quick H piles to support the sewer lines in a roadbed being excavated for a new culvert. Bony 12" pit run led to a days vaccum excavating and bring down the good old drop hammer to finish them. 2 day job=5days P6171871.JPG P6181880.JPG P6221883.JPG P6231886.JPG

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Quite surprised at the level of structure on that. Here the use of 'Guard Pipe' or a heavy wall steel pipe surrounding the PVC under similar circumstances is the rule.

Tugger2

They were just getting ready to belt the pipe to the beam with ratchet belts ,one every 4 feet. Next step is to excavate the gully to the failed culvert,about 20 feet down leaving the pipes suspended overhead on the beams. The blue pipe has clamps and ties at every joint,the other pipe is HDPE about 5/8 wall continuous lenght ,pretty bullet proof.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Now I see, supporting the pipes while culvert changed, was confused, thought were being reinforced permanently!!

ryanmueller

My 40 ton back driving some piles with the Ice Vibro. Seems theres a surprise in every pile , that one was to do 4 quick H piles to support the sewer lines in a roadbed being excavated for a new culvert. Bony 12" pit run led to a days vaccum excavating and bring down the good old drop hammer to finish them. 2 day job=5days View attachment 220252 View attachment 220253 View attachment 220254 View attachment 220255
Does your American have three drums? Not that you did it here but how could you hold the leads, hammer and loft a pile with two drums? Is that a hat welded to the cushion to keep the pile lined up?

Tugger2

Does your American have three drums? Not that you did it here but how could you hold the leads, hammer and loft a pile with two drums? Is that a hat welded to the cushion to keep the pile lined up?
Yes i do have 3 drums . The third is hydraulic ,i run a pump off the cam drive on the detroit to a pullmaster 12000lb winch. I set up the valve with air over hyd control so the cab controls are all stock ,no messy hoses and valves in the cab.
I put the hat on the cushion to keep it on the pile and its good for loading or lining up on piles.

ryanmueller

4D99A733-7BA2-431F-83B6-385B9017DDA4.jpeg
Yes i do have 3 drums . The third is hydraulic ,i run a pump off the cam drive on the detroit to a pullmaster 12000lb winch. I set up the valve with air over hyd control so the cab controls are all stock ,no messy hoses and valves in the cab.
I put the hat on the cushion to keep it on the pile and its good for loading or lining up on piles.
Our P&h 790 has a hydraulic third drum that we added

Tugger2

Raildudes dad

I work for our county highway department. We replaced a decent sized culvert (72" IIRC) under a 12" DI watermain. Not as deep as this picture but a challenge for sure. Mega lugs plus the cross beams under the main IIRC. I have photos someplace................

Tugger2

I had The Lima out doing residential work last week. A friend had an old scale platform he bought for a bridge .It weighted 38000 lbs,they delivered it to him ,looked at his bridge site a hundred yards in the bush on a soft narrow road thru a swamp and said no way . We rigged the Lima up and packed it in no prob.P7271900.JPG P7281902.JPG P7281901.JPG P7281903.JPG

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
There is still a place for old conventionals and flat pads. Didn't need rubber belts or old tires to keep from tearing up the roads. Plenty of floatation. No outriggers and need to carry all the associated blocking. Counterweight is already loaded. Fuel use is almost nothing for that job. It looks like you didn't even need to load another section into the boom. Nice work!

Tugger2

They dont give me much trouble on todays lowbeds . I always throw belting down on the bare steel spots. Coming off i toggle the friction in and leave it then stall the torque with the hoist drums so you just creep as you tip down,if the drive chains are too slack you get a little run . Biggest thing is to lock the sliding door open ,sucks to have a hand on the doorpost as it slams shut .