1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old conventionals at work

Discussion in 'Cranes' started by Tugger2, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Tugger2

Tugger2 Senior Member

Its a 75C

2. ryanmueller

ryanmueller Well-Known Member

P&h 430 ready for crane service jobs IMG_5200.JPG

72hayes, pushbroom, DMiller and 2 others like this.
  3. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

They won't let anyone travel like that here. Any oversize/overweight is a "irreducable" load. If it can come off, it has to come off. You'd have to be on your toes cornering in town with that boom hanging back there.

Do you pull both outrigger boxes, or just the rear one? Can you leave counterweight on, or do you haul it separate also?

DMiller likes this.
  4. ryanmueller

Outriggers don't come off and counterweight stays on. Have 50' of boom in it but can go 70'. Weighs 81k lbs all put together

5. crane operator

These guys got a little carried away with a big old american. It put a pretty good scar in the tower when the boom came down. It looks like in the pictures that the house was pinned, outriggers up, with the blade on the hook. Why you would be doing it like that, is beyond me, I kind of like my outriggers down.

Check out the homemade front counterweight.

american homemade counterweight 9.jpg american homemade counterweight 1.jpg american homemade counterweight 2.jpg american homemade counterweight 3.jpg

72hayes and pushbroom like this.
  6. crane operator

7. crane operator

I can see moving it around with the boom in it, they do that a lot in the wind farms, but I don't get doing it with a load on.

DMiller likes this.
  8. ryanmueller

We drive ours around with boom in and outriggers up and with pile drivers hanging

9. crane operator

Probably not with +200' of stick in? I'm betting that in driving, they tilted a little on the crooked road, the extra weight of the blade side loaded it, and the boom crumpled over to the side. 5 deg of side load can be up to a 50% reduction in capacity. :(

DMiller and old-iron-habit like this.
  10. td25c

td25c Senior Member

I'm thinking ….. "Why the hell are they building these subsidized wind farms that will never pay off ? "

One more reason to steer clear of those jobs .

Now if a feller want's to put up a wind mill on his own dime to pump some water to the livestock I'm cool with that .

scan0017[1].jpg

11. renovator

renovator Active Member

That outfit is from my hometown (I believe they are now owned by a big corp.). I'm surprised the owner/customer let them rig all that extra counterweight. That's clearly working "off the charts." Lift plans and equipment certification are a big deal around here. Older cranes can't even get close to work at some jobs, like those at the local national lab.

DMiller likes this.
  12. td25c

td25c Senior Member

Keep in mind they are at a wind farm ….. :rolleyes:

Money is tight and the wind mills aint producing anything close to what is invested in them .

Safer & more cost effective work environment would be at a Nuclear , Coal , or Natural gas Power plant as they already know what it take's to power up a community . :cool:

DMiller likes this.
  13. HATCHEQUIP

HATCHEQUIP Senior Member

I bet they might make a profit if you set um up in congress ….. have to make sure the governors were limited enough... Plenty of wind and plenty of lube.

pushbroom and DMiller like this.
  14. ichudov

ichudov Senior Member

The boom on the ground seems to have very little damage! How could it happen that it came down so gently? I do realize that it was, clearly, some sort of a fail, but I cannot imagine what actually transpired. Wire rope broke? Or the brake failed, while still somewhat functioning?

DMiller likes this.
  15. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Am I looking at the same photos you are in post #226 above..? Because that boom is bent like the proverbial S-hook....

16. HATCHEQUIP

HATCHEQUIP Senior Member

check out the side lacings their bowed out just a touch :cool: but I know what your saying that it not squished flat from the impact. but it was an older machine therefore it was built heavier . they built in a lot more safety factor back then

ichudov likes this.
  17. muzy

muzy Well-Known Member

My 2 cents worth, is it possible the load was still rigged when they pulled forward. That or The boom was still loaded and a rope holding boom inclination broke and pushed truck forward as it slid down windmill stand.

ichudov likes this.
  18. muzy

muzy Well-Known Member

Is it possible for this to happen if they crowned the ball? Hope the term "crowned the ball" makes sense. :)

19. crane operator

Crane speak for that is "two blocking", basically running the block into the boom tip. Typically if that happens, you either pull the ball through the sheeve keeper pins, and it ends up laying 30' behind you on the ground with 100' of cable around it. Or it folds the jib or boom over backwards, which is easier to do if you have block hitting the boom tip, it won't pull through keepers like a ball will.

In this situation where the boom falls away from the crane, there's a couple scenarios.

1- the weight of the boom with load on, driving away or toward the tower, tips the boom sideways, side loads the jib, and it crumples over, that "load" of jib and blade shock loads the side loaded main boom, busts its pendant lines or welds, and it all comes a falling down. The folded up jib on the end of main kind of leads me to this, as well as the busted off house lock pin tells me he was leaning to the side pretty good.

2 pulling ahead or back, front end got light, and the operator decided better to let the boom hit the ground than to stand the crane on its back bumper and he pulled the dogs and let her free fall. House lock could have broke from the bind the tower put on the boom to the side, when the boom hit the tower.

3 kind of similar to #2, may have not had the boom winch dogs in , and smoked the boom winch brake and then couldn't get it stopped. Boom hits tower, wedges it to the side and breaks off the house lock pin.

#4 Pendant line cable or swedge break, or jib pendant, or boom winch line cable failure , or a pin not secured properly, welds popped loose from a broken chord and the extra side load was too much for it, or any one of another million things that made someone have a no good horrible very bad day. Just hope everyone got to go home.

20. ryanmueller

Driving piles with an ape d-80 then drilling them out 70' deep IMG_5223.JPG IMG_5227.JPG IMG_5262.JPG IMG_5275.JPG

72hayes likes this.