• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

okay....which one of you is in this videoÞ

armadillo

I wunder if they trainsported the excavator on the barge and were trying to climb the slope to begin with?? Would that barge handle an excavator??

dayexco

looking at the video, it'd be my guess that barge was sent in to haul away the spoils the excavator dug from the river. had nothing to do w/transport of excavator

Reuben

I cant make out the audio at the end but it sounds like some says....."if.........that wouldn't have happened" can anyone else make it out

armadillo

The guy on the bank says some thing that rimes with truck just before he turns and walks up the hill. Must of been the boss.

Northart

What did he do ?

Looks like he had undercut the toe all along the slope for whatever reason. Why was he down the slope on top of loose rock ??

He should never have been on the slope to begin with.

When the machine slid into the drink, looks like a whole bunch of slope let go at the same time.

He did suck himself into the drink with that last movement. The "operator ??" sure looked awful young to be on that machine.

How deep was the water, well it disappeared from sight. 10' deep at least, I'd say.

Hard to tell about some things from the grainy video. Ha, at least some fortunate bystander was there anyway to capture it on film.

[-Agent-]

COPPA
Occupation
Student
I aint no digger driver but that did not seem like the best action to take in that situation,

tell me this...

would he be better of swinging around and pulling himself up???

Nah then he would tilt backwards and fall in. I would stay right there untill help arrives.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
He had a Long Reach ! Why the hell was he sitting on the rip rap in the first place:beatsme Steel tracks on rock are like Bambi on ice, funny as long as you aint Bambi :eek:

Just read from the start and realised I missed a few posts.
When he pulled clear of the barge he was not in the ideal position, but was not in trouble. He could have slewed 180 deg and gone back up the rip rap.
I feel he got hooked on something in the water, probably the wire mesh on the rip rap, and !!!!! maybe he PANICKED :mad: ! WHAT ! you never had that heart stopping moment ! :eek: Funny when you get away with it. A different story when it goes wrong!
Luckily he got away with it. AND I 2nd the comments on the 2 that went in after him, though I think they panicked! They should have waited 2 seconds longer. :D

Last edited:

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
watch it again and after it slides in the guy standing on the bank he just stands there doesn't jump in get on a cell phone or nothing then he walks up the bank crosses his arm and shakes his head and walks off he must have been the forman on the job its just funny to see him not do anything he looks pissed from his body movements granted he just bought an engine and a fluid flush off all the systems or a brand new 300,000 dollar hoe

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
yikes.

he definitley should have killed the engine.

woodchuck2

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thats a tricky situation to be in and i dont beleive i would have put myself there. IMO he should have swung the boom around and dug the bucket in the ground for at least some kind of an anchor until another peice of equipment showed up to assist. If i were the boss i would have jumped right in, just so i could choke the air out of him and say he drowned.

iron kid

Occupation
owner 12 man team
it dose look like he hooked something and why he didn't have his arm seems alittle odd i almost did the same thing a 200 deere but got the bucket out and stopped the side them got a D6 and pulled out

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
Hey now....
It ONLY a rental :beatsme

Attachments

• 2849960350065476939ZYObLp_th.jpg
    2849960350065476939ZYObLp_th.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 1,345
  • 310735051QETjcI_th.jpg
    310735051QETjcI_th.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 1,363
  • 498430700ByAQYM_ph.jpg
    498430700ByAQYM_ph.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 1,369

[-Agent-]

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Thats a tricky situation to be in and i dont beleive i would have put myself there. IMO he should have swung the boom around and dug the bucket in the ground for at least some kind of an anchor until another peice of equipment showed up to assist. If i were the boss i would have jumped right in, just so i could choke the air out of him and say he drowned.

I would have swung it down and pushed my boom down so that I didn't slide down any farther. But yours might be better for when they come with a chain that they put it on the bucket, you would have to think fast...

360joe

His objective?

Hard to know what this guy trying to achieve. Was just there to provide anchorage for the barge to stop it drifting on the tide?:beatsme

Lashlander

IMO he should have swung the boom around and dug the bucket in the ground for at least some kind of an anchor until another peice of equipment showed up to assist.

I've never ran a hoe with that long a boom and stick so don't know the balance point. I have done a whole lot of dredging with a hoe though and it always made me nervous to have to turn the counter weight to the water side without backing up though. I wouldn't have swung it around without snubbing it off, even with the stick all the way out.
All of this is speculation though because no one seems to know what is going on. If I was in the video I wouldn't be commenting either.