• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

okay....which one of you is in this videoÞ

solar140

:OMG :jawdrop He's one lucky guy to get out of that, I doubt he was feeling very lucky when his boss caught up with him though :badidea

greywynd

There comes a time when one has to know when to stop.....at least when he had the bucket on the barge he was somewhat stable. Sitting on the rocks he was, I imagine the traction was somewhere between poor and terrible. Getting something on the flat of the bank behind him with a cable to the undercarriage would have been a really good idea IMO. :)

euclid

Occupation
Engineering
let's just say it sucked to be him. I mean how do you explain that one?

landrvrnut22

Occupation
Field Superintendent
"Boss, listen, we went to lunch, and the excavator is gone."

"What the $&@* do you mean it's gone!?!?"

"I dont know, it just disappeard, maybe it was aliens?"

After hanging up with the boss.

"Guys, do you really think he will buy that story?"

alco

Wow, I mean....umm....well, umm....I don't really know what to say about that. I'm glad he made it out, I just hope he has some good luck in his search for a new job.

Brian

dayexco

he HAD it somewhat secure on the barge...why the HELL didn't he wait until he got it tied off on the backside to a wrecker/dozer/loader, SOMETHING before he started moving anything, you could see that happening a mile away.

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
man he drove right in to the water... must have not known where his drive motors were...

WabcoMan

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts manager
Strong contender for "dumb-ass of the year" !
How many basic operaing rules was he breaking there ?

armadillo

Video was a bit grainy but I don't think the tracks ever moved. I've got to wunder why he was down there on the rocks without some kind of a tether or some thing. A lot of unknowns. I've pulled some bone head moves before and had to stop, get out and choose the best way to "recover". I don't know if it's luck or skill but in 26 years of opperating heavy equipment and heavy haul trucks, I've had no major accidents(knock on wood)and only a few minor ones.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Yellow Submarine :D
:laugh

It's hard to know how deep the water was further out, but with the dipper tucked way in under the boom that way, he wasn't going to get any help from it, either by way of pushing him back up the bank, or even simply holding him where he was. Actually, one false move and the dipper pulls the machine further toward itself, which in this case means into the drink...

greywynd

I watched again last night to show my son, it almost looked like the dipper starts to fold in on it's own, like the cylinder let go or bent, just before it goes into the water. Having the long boom and stick, there would be a lot of leverage against it.

Regardless, it'll be a mess to clean up! :D:D

redline

Occupation
Plant operator and Tenkate plant hire
I aint no digger driver but that did not seem like the best action to take in that situation,

tell me this...

would he be better of swinging around and pulling himself up???

Deas Plant

A better way??????????????????

Hi, Redline.
You may be no digger driver but I think you've picked it in one. There's not a digger that I have ever run, and that's been a few, that doesn't have more power pulling the dipper in than pushing out with it. Hydraulic face shovels, yes, but excavators, NO. And the long reach would have been a bit handicapped in the 'power' department anyway, especially pushing out.

How-wevver, the other commenters have a point too, in that it ought to have been anchored off to something substantial before doing anything to rescue it.

armadillo

Steel tracks on a rocky slope is allways risky. Once he got into that situation he should have taken steps to secure the machine before atemting to either push or pull himself out. Hined sight is 20/20. Very expinsive lesson.

stumper120

i wonder if that was the boss/owner who just turned around and walked up the hill like he dident even care about the operator. those guys jumped in before that thing even hit the bottom. those are the kind of guys you want on your crew. o ya the operator is a moron shoulda sat tight and got a line on that thing.:usa

dayexco

all bosses aren't pricks. it would be rather devestating to see a 200k invesment fall in the drink....yeah, he should have hired a more competent employee/employees....hindsight says EVERYBODY there, at least those who profess they're professional operators........anybody concerned about their job would have said...WHOA, stop right here....let's get this freakin machine secured/tied down before we try anything else. common sense says nothing less. easy to call the boss a ******** when in acuality......it's an employee he trusted that just flushed his machine into the toilet

greeniron

what all you fellows have said is right but i`m not sure that he hasn`t drove that thing in the water cause you can hear the tracks squarking when it starts moving
maybe he slipped in the seat putting all his wieght on the forward drive pedals ?