• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

oil specs - cat 307!

gpap123

Occupation
Civil Engineer - Contructor
Hello to everybody,
the story about my grey market cat 307 ssr is an old one...
the fact is that i can find no manuals,
so once again i am asking for your help!!!
what are your suggestions about engine oil and hydraulics?
Does anybody have any idea if "cat ecf-2" or "cat ecf-1a" meets the mitsubishi 4d32 engine?

any advice is wellcome!

p.s. climate range in my region is winter -10 C, summer +50 C !!!
:usa

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
Do you have a serial number? I was able to get parts books and operator's manuals for both a gray market 311 and a 312. I think they are printed in Japan and shipped direct. I could call and ask if books are available for your 307 if you like.

Last edited:

gpap123

Occupation
thanks for your interest!
The problem is that i am located far away....!
I have a parts manual for the American 307 and seems to fit to my ssr but is not full compatible i think.
So, can you order parts according to these books? i mean, the serials are Japan or American?

RobVG

Occupation
The serial numbers of our machines are in the range of the books.
The are written in Japanese. For parts I look at the picutures and find the part numbers. Can be a real problem with subsets.

Seems like your looking for an opperators manual which will have lube specs, refill capacities and maintenance schedule. I wonder if any 307 manual would work?

gpap123

Occupation
My serious problem is to order the part which will fit to my machine. Dealers here cannot help me, they can just order by serial.
So, if i have the Japanese parts book and look at the pictures and find the part number i need then i will have to match it to the American parts book and order by the American serial??? Is that correct?

RobVG

Occupation
With a Japanese parts book, It's written in Japanese but the part Numbers are the same. I haven't come across the problem of finding a part number in the book that didn't correspond to an actual part.

You find the number and give it to the parts department.

RobVG

Occupation
I dont' think I was very clear. Hope I don't muck it up further:Banghead

-You find the part number in the Gray Market (Japanese) parts book and you place your order using that part number.

-There is no need to cross-reference with the American manual.

Dealers here cannot help me, they can just order by serial.

I know EXACTLY what your saying. They'll ask for your serial number and then say, "I'm sorry, that machine is not in our system. I can't help you".

Once you get the gray market parts book, you call up and give them the part number directly - no need for the serial number.

gpap123

Occupation
Do not worry, you were very clear, i understand.
I have checked few serials written on parts on the machine and most of them do not match to the American parts book.
I think, i am not sure for this, that newer machines like yours and 308 use same serials American - Japanese) and the older like 307 are a bit complicated.
However, how much did the Japan books cost to you?
And because we are off topic, which oil do you use for your engine, hydraulics and for the swing motor?

RobVG

Occupation
We have two Cat books- I'll have to check to see what we paid for them but I just bought a parts book for a gray market Komatsu- it was $130.

Engine Oil- Mobile Delvac MX 15w-40.
(Have used Chevron Delo 400 15w-40)

Swing Drive & Final Drives- Any GL-5 rated 80w-90 gear oil.

Hydraulic Oil- AW 46

What I use might be different than what the book says.

catmtl

remember that the grey machines do use some different parts than the US machines. Matching S/N's does not always work.

Make sure that you use a HYD oil with a minimum 900ppm zinc. There are several oils that do not meet this critical spec even when new.

Caiwu

Greetings from China!My friend haS a CAT 320D hydraulic
Excavator He use AW46 or 68 in the hydraulic system.I think
he should use CF-4. Can you tell me who is right? Thank
you.