• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Oil. Is there any brands that I should stay away from?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The NAPA Gold line is a decent, consistent product. Compare individual part numbers to their Platinum line. For an extra bucks or two, you might get a much better filter.

So what is the difference between their most expensive and least expensive filters besides price?

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Media type, beta ratio and backflow valve material. Cool thing about NAPA is they make their filter spec sheets easily available. Well, Wix, I know. Very handy resource, nonetheless.

https://napafilters.com/

cfherrman

I think the regular napa Filters don't have the glue lines that keep the pletes separate so you don't get the most capacity out of it.

Coaldust

Occupation
For sure. Who else does spiral roving besides AFCI? BTW, AFCI is the company that manufactures Cat filters.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
We've always thrown Motorcraft filters and the orange jug oil at the gas fords.

emmett518

So what is the difference between their most expensive and least expensive filters besides price?
There is a youtube video that shows someone ripping a bunch of filters apart. The Frams and STPS were garbage. The Wix, Purolators and Napa Golds were much better constructed.

Truck Shop

Some of the wild/craziest threads about brands of oil and filters plus service intervals are motorcycle forums.
Some change once a year while others over service, causing mayhem to the point of a showdown at noon.

It's oil and filters-run what you want change when you want, it's your rig your money. J.G. Wentworth.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Wix makes Napa and Fleetguard. The filtering material is cellulose in all of them. So what is the difference between any of them. I've a lot of crap that the makers say make one better than the other but I don't see much difference in any of them unless they actually block fluid flow.

Coaldust

Occupation
It’s all so tiresome. I see where Fram is no longer a Honeywell company and is owned by First Brands/TRiCO. The old Wix we loved is now Mahn and Hummel and the filters are being manufactured differently. Same story, closing and consolidating USA based plants to shift production to China, Poland, Ukraine, Mexico. Hard to maintain brand loyalty with this constant change.

Coaldust

Occupation
Emmett518,

That video is old and all those brands have changed ownership, countries of origin and the factories are different. It was a good video, at the time.

Coaldust

Occupation
Oh’ I see there is no shortage of new oil filter videos on the ewe tube. Coincidentally, I’m home eating lunch after my previous post, turn on the TV and there are oil filter videos all over the YT Home Screen. Obviously, I’m being watched by the YT overlords.

Truck Shop

Ok--back to realistic service intervals. Daimler Detroit says on a DD15 for example, we could run oil change
intervals from 40 to 50,000 miles on heavy haul {100,000 GVW} and 60 to 65,000 at {80,000 GVW} with
oil Sampling. I don't do OIL SAMPLING. Using 10x30 synthetic. Synthetics are good but not that good, and
the DD15 is a good engine but not that good. So the average mileage of any trucks we have is 135,000
a year---A total of three full services under their talking point/word salad sales pitch.

I set the Max at 30,000 have had zero issues but that oil is about as nasty as it gets, so black and thick
with soot the waste oil burner struggles unless I cut it with LSD. Now I do know of some companies
that tried the 50 grand oil change intervals, and it ended up costing them 50 grand each, with warranty
claims pending for awhile now.

I only use OEM filters/cost less than aftermarket. My point is why should I be sampling oil to meet
the factory guidelines-If it comes back with a bad report what the hell did we save, nothing. But
someone made money doing all these sampling testing/reports. How many barrels of 10x30 synthetic
could I buy for 50 grand? No matter what the manufacture says it's nothing more than pandering for
a sale. Use common sense and set a service interval that's realistic. I can see sampling for final drives
in a Cat otherwise no.

Another asinine pandering sales pitch is Cummins overhead adjustment interval for X15.
No need according to Cummins to adjust the overheads till---------------------500,000. Well that ain't
happening either the 7 we bought a year ago will go in at 175,000 to be checked.

Donelson Power Core engine air filters suppose to last a full year running over the road----BS.
7 to 9 months and those are loaded heavy as hell, change it and mileage slightly increases plus
the DPF lasts longer.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I think a lot of that is manufacturer's sales pitch for "reduced maintenance intervals" so allegedly you're saving coin in O&O costs but in actual fact it's costing you. It was exactly the same when the "new generation" of Cat engines (as they were at the time) went from the time-honoured since Year Dot 250 hours between engine oil/filter changes to 500 hours. Get an honest sales guy full of beer and they would freely admit it.

Tinkerer

[QUOTE https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...draulic-fluid-10-85m-class-action-settlement/[/QUOTE]

NAPA should have been a defendant in that lawsuit if they knowingly were marketing 303 oil in a bucket that would lead a purchaser to think that they were getting a good quality oil.
303 hydraulic oil should be banned from being offered for sale.
A few years ago I sent an email to Warren Oil Co because their 303 oil was being sold near me.
I had no intention of buying any of it but I was curious as to what it was because the bucket had no information on it.
A vice-president of the company replied to my email and said it was SAE 30wt, and did not meet Case specifications.