• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

oil from exhaust

dayexco

i have a 96 model 690E deere excavator, 4400 hrs. late this afternoon, machine started smoking BAD, and oil was literally coming out of exhaust, no knocks, rattles misses......seal go out of turbo?

John Banks

I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago on a Cat machine. Check the air filter. I changed the filter and then it was fine. Also check for an exhaust leak, which can dirty the air filter as it's circulating dirty air.

will_gurt

Charter Member
Occupation
operator in extended holding pattern
This does hurt, no doubt. Awhile back there was a thread about letting the engine run to cool the turbo down before shut down. Would this have helped here? Was this failure just old age of the turbo? :beatsme

salesrep

Occupation
Sales Rep
It is always a good idea to cool down. Hard to say in hind sight if this would have prevented this damage.

dayexco

found out this morning that the operator didn't have the exhaust pipe duct taped up when he moved the machine from one job (40 miles) to the next my fault, i forgot to tell him to, thought he'd know that. turbo spun without any lubrication. took out bearing/seal.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
A 690E is a pretty good sized machine, I'm assuming it was lowboy'd. Either way, lowboy or tag, it's pretty much impossible to transport a machine of that size with the boom to the front (exhaust stack to the rear).

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
I would agree. With the bigger machines there probably isn't much choice as in smaller stuff. In that case though they should alway be taped up. Kind of like binding, saving a few seconds loading is just not worth the damage that can occurr.