1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Oil for 580L

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by Maybeso, May 29, 2020.

1. Maybeso

Maybeso Active Member

I live in a remote part of Alaska and oil is scarce.The nearest case dealer is about 800 miles away and the oil would have to come by barge, so what I would like to know I have two types of oil locally that can take the place of Hy-tran, Id like to know a few opinions on which you folks think is a better oil for my machine. One is Napa Tractor hydraulic and transmisson oil, Part number NHF85405. The other is John Deere Hy-gard. Im not worried about the cost, I want quality. The case dealer I talked to swears that his service tech says that the napa oil is perfectly fine for the machine. Thankyou for any input

2. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

For the Hydraulic system, either is probably ok. For the transmission, the NAPA fluid is NOT acceptable. The Hy-Gard does have wet brake and clutch friction modifiers, and is much closer to the Case spec.

3. dozr

dozr Senior Member

excaving
    i have allways used automatic trans oil in 680 and 580l in trans easy to get an have not had a problem , used good tractor hyd in hyd.

4. mikebramel

mikebramel Senior Member