• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Oil Filter Cutters?

barrelroll

Occupation
Mill Mechanic
I've run into a couple times I'd like to cut an oil filter open and usually use a hack saw. My budget is $100 or less unless there's a reason to spend a ton of money on one. Looking on Amazon there's 3 different styles of Chinesum oil filter cutters. There's also the option of cutting chain wrench though most of the stuff in my budget only goes up to 3". I'll have to throw a tape measure on most of the filters I work with next hitch though I believe a max of 5-6".

What's the best bang for the buck filter cutter?

barrelroll

Occupation
Mill Mechanic
The Caterpillar one is close to the $100 mark.
4C-5084
Unfortunately I don't speak Cat. That part number brings me to this https://parts.cat.com/en/ncmachinery/4C-5084 Which shows it's been replaced with
C10551937

175-7546

Though when you click on the link it gives a dead link and when you add it to your cart for $83.11 it says contact dealer. Do I just head down to the parts department at NC and order it? I've never attempted to buy a cat tool. It does look nice though I'm not 100% sure it's necessary to spend double what the chinesum equivalent is on a pretty low abuse tool. The amazon stuff looks to be in the $40 range.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
NC often has them in stock. But yeah, Amazon looks like the way to go for price & convenience. The Cat one is probably made in China, anyways. But, you can purchase new cutters for the Cat unit down the road. Your mileage may vary.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Unfortunately I don't speak Cat. That part number brings me to this https://parts.cat.com/en/ncmachinery/4C-5084 Which shows it's been replaced with
C10551937

175-7546

Though when you click on the link it gives a dead link and when you add it to your cart for $83.11 it says contact dealer. Do I just head down to the parts department at NC and order it? I've never attempted to buy a cat tool. It does look nice though I'm not 100% sure it's necessary to spend double what the chinesum equivalent is on a pretty low abuse tool. The amazon stuff looks to be in the $40 range.
One good thing about the Cat filter cutter is that replacement parts for it can be bought separately including the cutting wheels. 175-7546 is the newest Part Number replacing 4C-5084. Why not call the dealer and ask them if they have one in stock.?

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Having used the Amazon type unit and the Cat as well it is worth every penny regardless of how many times you use it. Mainly due to the size of the cutters on the Cat. If you have a filter with a weird shape or like some Cat filters the crimp is a little ways down the can those smaller ones won’t reach and then you’re cutting the other end which while not a big deal is messy and you may end up knocking loose all the little sparkly stuff in the inversion process. None of us want to see anything like that but I’d rather see what’s settled on the bottom and what’s in the pleats.

Zewnten

We had one of the chinese ones at the JD dealer, broke on the first filter. Replaced it with the CAT one and other than idiot techs breaking the cutting wheel it held up well. But on larger or high pressure filters I use an air hammer bit for cutting sheet metal. No debris, just a ribbon of steel and no broken cutting wheels. I imagine a steel pipe cutter off amazon or ebay would also cut filters easy and give lots of leverage.

FarmWrench

Occupation
Table Potato farmer
I used the Cat number at NAPA and got it for $20 less than the Cat dealer.....~10years ago~

You won't need parts for it as long as you use it. Let some idiot pop play with it and YMMV