• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Oil change curiousity

PSDF350

Was wondering what intervals you guys need to do oil changes. My skidder calls for every 100 hours. I'm also curious how they come up with that figuire. Do they figuire it as like running 65mph or something. Not that i can do 65. Top speed on skidder is 18 mpg.

salesrep

Occupation
Sales Rep
Generally oem's will figure "normal" operating circumstances using minimum spec oil, then shave off 20-50%.

Take a car for example. Using a min spec oil, driving mostly highway miles through testing they determine that it can go 4k safely on the oil before it breaks done too far. Shave off 25%, thus 3 k oil change interval.

I catch heat for this alll the time. But imo all the oems really care about is that they do not have any problems as long as the machine is in warranty.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Dave, the best way to scientifically determine your oil change intervals is to do oil sampling. When the oil is tested, you tell them the number of hours that are on it and they can make a recomendation on the optimum hours for change intervals based on what they find.

salesrep can help you with oil sampling.

salesrep

Occupation
Sales Rep
If you are using otc oil (without oil sampling) it is generally recommended to stick with the intervals set by the oem. If you are using a premium oil and are confident in it's quality going out 2 times is alomost a given. Going out 3-5 is not uncommon.
Steve is correct using a sampling program will pinpont interval's. The other often overlooked advantage to oil sampling is "catching" problems with your machine before they become catastrophic. Which of course costs more money not including having the breakdown occur on the job, costing more money in downtime.

Mark
Schaeffer's Oil

PSDF350

Thanks Mark! So you guys do sampling too. PM me and let me know how much and how i go about it. Or you can just post here. Whatever way you want.

salesrep

Occupation
Sales Rep
Web based with tbn is $20 per kits of 6. Schaeffers cust. $15
Web Based w/o tbn is $15 per kits of six. Schaeffers cust. $12
Schaeffer in house for customers only $9 each kits of 6.
Those that buy over $500 worth of product get 3 free. Over $1000 get 6 free.
As stated uoa's is the way to determine oil change intervals. This is also how we prove that you can go 2-3-5 times longer with our oils.
While I've got the stage :roll
I guarentee my customers that they will spend less on our oils or I will make up the cost difference vs. their other oil.