1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Oil capacity Cummins 4bt from Onan generator

Discussion in 'Generators/Gensets' started by mattyt1984, May 6, 2022.

1. mattyt1984

mattyt1984 Well-Known Member

Engine didn't come with dip stick or tube. I want to run engine but how much oil does it take 1651857443416184424716448457708.jpg

2. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

Why is the dipstick and tube missing? There are spots on both sides, did you check thoroughly? Or is it ripped out somehow?

Hopefully Cummins can supply you the right ones. Call them with the engine serial number and generator serial number.

If you need it right now, devising some measuring stick and running 1/2'" to 1" below the oil pan split line ought to get you started until you can get a proper dipstick arranged.

mg2361 likes this.
  3. mattyt1984

Really not sure why it is missing but it is. I tried taking one out of another engine but the pans are different. I can use the dip stick and tube but just need to make new marks on stick but need oil capacity for engine

4. mattyt1984

Not sure if anyone has manual but engine was out of a Onan 60dgcb.

5. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    Why not do what Birken suggested.? Take the stick you have and set the Max mark on it 1/2" below the cylinder block/oil pan joint & the Min mark 1" below. Then slowly fill the pan until the oil level reaches the Max mark and measure how much oil you poured in. Simples.

According to this spec sheet the oil capacity (does not define if it is the complete lubrication system inc filter or just the oil pan) is 11.5 Qt.
    https://csdieselgenerators.com/Images/Generators/2215/Cummins-DGCB-spec-sheet.pdf

mg2361 likes this.
  6. mattyt1984

Thanks for info. Now I need to find a starter I'm using a 12 volt starter 13 tooth but it's a 24 volt system. I'm having no luck finding a 24 volt 13 tooth starter. Engine was also missing starter. It's same stater as Dodge truck but I need 24 volt.

7. Birken Vogt

What is your generator serial number? Should be on the rating sticker and start with a single letter followed by 2 digits of the year it was made followed by a bunch of numbers all run together.

8. mattyt1984

9. Birken Vogt

Try 191-2103 or 391-6854 for the starter, not 100% sure about those, though.