• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Oil analysis questions...?

Todd v.

So the issue is, I bought a 2015 Bobcat S630 (Doosan 2.4l) and just did the 3rd oil change and there was still metal in the oil. Not peices or anything just very fine metal suspended where you coul see the pattern as it drained and if you swirled it with something. I have 2 weeks left in warrenty so took it to the dealer to have them document and decide what to do. I changed the oil at 60 hours, 170 & 280. The oil had about 30 hours on it when I took the machine in. They changed it and say the oil didn't have any metal in it and they cut the filter open and it looked fine.

What would an oil analysis tell me in this case? I'm thinking it would be well worth having done if it will help me document a potential serious issue? I don't think i should still see anything in the oil after the second change at most. I also have my doubts that the oil they drained didn't have any metal in it given how obvious it was on the third change. I did save all my oil filters as a precation.

Thoughts?

Cmark

Thoughts?

I think you should take take an oil sample straight away. Although one sample is of limited use, it will be another weapon if your situation turns into a warranty battle, and even if it doesn't it's still a good thing to start monitoring the trends.

I also think that you did a good job in keeping the old filters and you should be careful not to lose any correspondence with your dealer regarding the situation.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

lantraxco. Mate, there IS a question mark at the end of that sentence. (wry grin)

The way the O/P posited the question with "still" metal in the oil it sounds as if this is normal and acceptable for the first two oil changes . . . which is Bull $hite of the highest order in my world.

Perhaps, at a first oil change a bit of swarf, gasket goo or the like caught up in the filter pleats may be tolerated but metal suspended in the oil? . . . no freaking way . . . if this is in any way acceptable I really am living in a different world.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Todd v.

I am going to bring some of the oil from the last oil change i did to the dealer when I pick the machine up and show them and have it documented. Will also have an analysis done on it, even though I didn't drain it into a completely clean pan there was no metal in it.

Yea the whole thing makes me pretty nervous. I have been an auto tech for 25+ years and have built some high dollar motors a lot bigger than this one that hold less oil and expect to see a little in the first oil change from rings seating, moly from breakin lubes etc but it should be completely gone after 2. It just very fine stuff, there has never been any peices or anything and when i cut the first filter open there wasn't anything scary in it, it has been visible to me though when the oil drains, it leaves a pattern and can be seen if you stir the oil with something.

They may not have been able to see it since the oil would have been almost new and very light or maybe whateve it is has finished shedding, who knows. Just not sure where to go from here. I do have the oil from the last two changes still around and all three filters, the first was cut open.

Todd v.

Just picked the machine up and showed them the oil from the last oil change, they agreed it looked to be metal in it. Like I said it's very fine, so fine that it stays suspended for the most part and does not show in the filter, they had the old one cut open. But it can definitely be seen as you pour it and if you swirl it around in the pan. They are going to send a sample to their warranty dept and I am going to have my own done.

The issue is on record at this point but that is it...

Any suggestions on who to have the analysis done by?

Delmer

Cat is as convenient and cheap as anybody. You buy the bottle and it's pre addressed and postage paid.

When you get the results, silicon won't matter because the oil probably picked up dust in the drain pan, the aluminum or lead or whatever is probably what you're seeing. Somebody else here probably knows how well visible particles will show up in the testing. My understanding is that it tests for minute amounts and isn't really designed for visible contaminants.

bvfdfire

Occupation
project superintendent for highway heavy construct
as delmer says, Cat is as cheap and convenient as anyone, but a word of advice from experience, when you get ready to send off your sample, Drop it by the closest Cat dealer and let them send to the lab by way intraoffice transfer. I sent a sample off that was urgently needed, never got results. sent another by way of dealer, and got it 4 days later. BTW, the original sample results showed up 6 weeks later. I tracked the issue and found that USPS tends to lose them. The sample will show whatever is there and whether its catbon or fuel or anti freeze contaminated.

Todd v.

Cool thanks, if I would have known they did them I would have dropped some off this morning, they are directly across the road from the Bobcat place. I will get a sample in their hands tomorrow.