1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Obtaining a CDL

Discussion in 'Equipment Moving Questions' started by cth008, Jan 8, 2017.

1. PJ The Kid

PJ The Kid Well-Known Member

Mechanic
    I have E and O restrictions on my CDL limiting me to bumper type trailers and auto trans only. Have pulled goose necks all my life behind pickups and drove 5-10 speed trucks in the field and on the road. Doesn't make much sense to me why they restrict it the way they do.

2. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    My guess is that to many people took the test with a pickup and gooseneck and then had no clue how to drive a semi. Thirty years ago here that was the standard for a lot of people testing so they changed the testing requirements to license up to what you test with.

3. Jakebreak

Jakebreak Well-Known Member

operator/pipelayer/mechanic
    I just went this week for my physical to renew my medical card now I have to go back in 3 mo for it again apparently the new regulations say that your bmi can't be over 35 I'm at 38 that puts me 23 lbs overweight the dr recommended me for a sleep apnea test or I have to lose the weight before my next physical and they started measuring your neck size I guess that can't be bigger than 17" or you have to go for a sleep test

4. fast1buzz

fast1buzz Active Member

First the company's insurance probably would not cover a newby. Second most of the drivers probably forgot how to do through pretrip.

5. dist3

dist3 Well-Known Member

Equipment Manager Enviromental and Site Contractor
    Look for a Driving School. Our local schools have all the training material and driving courses set up. They schedule test dates and provide truck.

6. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

I was in the unpleasant position of not being quite poor enough to qualify for government freebies, or employed by a huge corporation willing to invest thousands on anyone they can find with no DUIs or felonies. I was a poor owner of one truck barely big enough to require CDL. I feel they tossed countless obstacles in my way. I don't believe that was fair.

Government constantly seeks to remove freedom from their people. This is not the worst, but it is part of a systematic purge of personal rights.

Each of the days I went through red tape, I saw employees of a huge multi state trash hauler getting fast tracked through the process. Many of these people I doubt could sign their name.

7. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

I have to laugh I got my Chauffeurs license {that's what they called a CDL in those days} in 1975. Any one who owned a semi could sign a voucher for you. Take the written
    test and you were done. ----------------just remember to swing'em wide.

Truck Shop

8. Wes J

Wes J Senior Member

Illinois has the worst CDL testing requirements in the country. I suppose they would call them the best :rolleyes:

Seems we had a few incidents of CDL licenses being sold to anyone with legal tender by corrupt state employees. Some of them are still in prison. This prompted them to "improve" the testing requirements.

I got my class B (single vehicle) when I was 18. Moved to another state and transferred it. Moved back and tried to transfer back. Illinois battle axe employee says no can do. Surrender your CDL and start over. Ugh.

I found an outfit that will rent you a truck and trailer for the test. Pretty painless. Practiced backing and whatnot for an hour the night before. Sailed through the test and was on my way. This was not a driving school. You had to know how to drive. They just provided equipment.

9. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    Same here, just in 1979.