1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

OBD Scanners

Discussion in 'Trucks' started by NCPIPELINE, Feb 5, 2013.

1. NCPIPELINE

NCPIPELINE Senior Member

The Fixer
    Ok so I have been asking around and have not heard anything I didnt already know... I am in the market for a scanner(diagnostic platform) for my fleet of trucks. Lets see me have a few Ford 6.0, 7.3L, 5.4L Gas, 4.5L LCF & a couple of passenger ford trucks. Also have a few bigger Fords 650 & 750 with 5.9 Cummins ISB powerplants. A few Mitsu Fuso trucks. Then throw in the handfull of Chevy passenger trucks. Need something or combination of that will be able to cover all these trucks LOL :Banghead

2. Bobcatdan

Bobcatdan Well-Known Member

I don't know of a scanner that can do both light duty cars/trucks and med trucks. Cars and pick ups are all OBD 2 where as med and heavy trucks use several different platforms. I have never worked on a truck bigger then a ford F550 so I only know what I know about bigger trucks from what I have heard. When it comes to scanners, it all comes down to how much you want it to do. I would do a search for laptop based software for laptops as I'm pretty sure you would be looking at two scanners to do the range you want. There may be a scanner out there that can do all, but I don't know of it.

3. NCPIPELINE

NCPIPELINE Senior Member

The Fixer
  4. Hendrik

Hendrik Senior Member

Just wondering why you posted this in the skid steer section and why use "Men full of wisdom" as a title for your question?
    The reason I ask is that doing what you did makes it hard for people to find in the future when using the search function.

5. NCPIPELINE

NCPIPELINE Senior Member

The Fixer
    Just the section where I spend most of my time, have gotten to know most of these guys. Have tried posting it in the transportation section and got little to nice reply's.

6. Pipelinemech

Pipelinemech Active Member

had a truck mechanic working for me that used a snapon modus with the big truck package. it did all the crew and foreman pickups plus the two ton fords. mostly f650 and f750.

7. NCPIPELINE

NCPIPELINE Senior Member

The Fixer
    Do you know what engines were in your 650 & 750 I have the cummins 5.9 ISB did it hook up? I guess my other question is did he have a duetsch 6 & 9 pin for his modis

8. johndeere123

johndeere123 Well-Known Member

An OTC Genisys scanner is capable of doing passenger vehicles and large trucks. You may have to buy the large truck program separately. But the scanner will do large trucks.

9. boomvan

boomvan Active Member

Yep, OTC Genisys is what you need. With the additional HD(J1939) package. Then you can do it all. My scanner was $1200 plus $400 for the HD kit, that was a couple years ago.
    Snapon modis is the same thing, just sold/relabeled by snapon.