• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

O God no brakes! helllpp

580bob

just remember guys it was the GUY who was looking for help who started the name calling when he didn't like what we were telling him what to do to repair his machine

fu580ck

That's right Franklin, I tried to tell him that early on but that would have involved some effort on his part. If I was too broke or too cheap to buy a service manual, I'd probably be too lazy or too dumb to google something like Case 580CK service repair manual PDF where you can download one for free. I'd just want everyone to do it for me and I'd insult anyone who dared to question my approach and take offense when they recognize the obvious.
I like to help people, too, but I like to see some kind of effort on their part. Short of that, I'm content to let nature take it's course.
Grady what the heeeeeeeeeelllllll are you talking about?? I ASKED HERE for a service manual and GOT ONE. will you please STFU about it. jeeezlus chrriiist.

fu580ck

The best way I've found to get the disc assembly off the shaft when it's stuck is to spray the splines with penetrating oil and let it set for a bit then use pry bars to get behind it. You may have to use a hammer to drive pry bars in but damage will be slight. I hope this helps a bit anyway.
Coy youre awesome. thank you for helping. :)
I tried many a sessions of penetrating oil, tapping, tapping harder. Heating, tapping, heating, swearing.
Thought i broke her loose but ended up busting the spline disc. new one on order as we speak.
sucks bc the right side came off so easily.

fu580ck

seems like the new breed I try to explain what to look for grady tries to help and we are snowflakes ahh the new millennials please come and fix it for poor old me waa waa !!

Actually Grady chimed in just to tell me to get the service manual (which i did via Tinkerer) and to tell me i didnt know what i was doing (wow really great input there, thanks a ton)
Nobody even gorram BOTHERED to link me to this thread: https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/case-580-ck-stuck-wheel-or-brakes.50675/
which Grady was a PART OF... wouldve been a lot easier than arguing with me and ignoring the fact that i was agreeing with him most of the time

fu580ck

Unfortunately it is very similar,Nige.
At least there isn't an incompetent dealer involved.
Namecalling, assumptions and accusations. Good Grief !! There is no need for any of that on a forum. Just my opinion.
Believe me i didn't want this haha. But I hate being called an idiot by people that dont know me. once you know me THEN you can call me an idiot.

fu580ck

For anyone still interested in the actual progress of this repair. Maybe Coy and Tinkerer since theyve been quite helpful.
I drained the oil and pulled both of the bearing carriers off. this time it was the Right side which was a bear. shims didnt really survive, will have to replace them.
Once its time, any reason not to reinstall with just one shim equaling the total thickness of the three that were on there? would rather cut a single one out of the appropriate shim stock than 3.
And the surfaces between the shims are anything but smooth. should i ignore the 'added' thickness? i feel like its going to add more than a few thou with the new shims.

fu580ck

upload_2018-6-4_16-28-13.png
Wow you're an a55h0le to everyone. even senior members. And im the one whos the jerk in this thread...

Tinkerer

Once its time, any reason not to reinstall with just one shim equaling the total thickness of the three that were on there? would rather cut a single one out of the appropriate shim stock than 3.
And the surfaces between the shims are anything but smooth. should i ignore the 'added' thickness? i feel like its going to add more than a few thou with the new shims.
3 shims or one doesn't matter, as long as the thickness is the same. Not sure what you mean the surfaces are not smooth between the shims. Rust ? Galled ? The important thing is the bearing pre-load when it is back together.

Grady

Grady what the heeeeeeeeeelllllll are you talking about?? I ASKED HERE for a service manual and GOT ONE. will you please STFU about it. jeeezlus chrriiist.
Actually Grady chimed in just to tell me to get the service manual (which i did via Tinkerer) and to tell me i didnt know what i was doing (wow really great input there, thanks a ton)
Nobody even gorram BOTHERED to link me to this thread: https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/case-580-ck-stuck-wheel-or-brakes.50675/
which Grady was a PART OF... wouldve been a lot easier than arguing with me and ignoring the fact that i was agreeing with him most of the time

Yes, you asked here for info on why your brakes don't work and then for a service manual for your machine without even doing a google search where they are offered for free - like it's up to someone else to do it for you? The link tinkerer gave you is for a C, that has similar although different brakes. I see you finally took my advice to research the threads on this site that have a lot of good info on brakes for CK's. There are quite a few threads that contain a lot of good hints that aren't in the manual - but you again wanted someone to just send you the link because google is just too labor intensive? "no one BOTHERED" Do you think I remember the name of every thread I ever posted in or read? I told you they were here - you just had to look - and apparently you finally did. Did you read my post in that thread that advised to get the service manual and others agreed? I gave that guy a bearing carrier for his brakes who offered to buy it - but he wasn't being a dick.

Believe me i didn't want this haha. But I hate being called an idiot by people that dont know me. once you know me THEN you can call me an idiot.

No one ever called you an idiot even if that's how you took it. Rudimentary means basic, not stupid. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I was trying to keep you from doing expensive damage to your machine unintentionally. I told you we all help each other and it isn't a contest but you make it painful. Coy and Tinkerer, besides knowing more than me, must also have more time on their hands, better social skills, ungrateful kids of their own, or maybe they're just religious and can turn the other cheek. I heard the Lord helps those who help themselves so ask a question that shows you've made some effort and don't be rude to those who are trying to help you. I like Nige's motto.

I can't imagine that anyone cares about the progress of your repair at this point - but it's always amusing to watch a tantrum.

Last edited:

fu580ck

3 shims or one doesn't matter, as long as the thickness is the same. Not sure what you mean the surfaces are not smooth between the shims. Rust ? Galled ? The important thing is the bearing pre-load when it is back together.
Yea pretty much just concerened about the roughness and rust.

fu580ck

Grady... This isnt yahoo answers and im not asking about how to change a lightbulb
i came to a forum asking for super esoteric help and to save time. Telling me to help myself... is not helping. I know how to google, and thread skim, and i didnt find anything.
Proving your point by intentionally witholding information seems a bit childish, and once again, does not help, and also wastes both our time.
The time i spent looking and not finding anything on my own doesn't make me any smarter, it just wastes my time.
With both thread skimming and googling, it's the destination that teaches, not the journey.

You set a precedent by talking down to me, and continued to convince other people. Meanwhile I was doing everything you and Bob were convinced I wasnt...
Coy and Tinkerer probably spent less time overall, and helped me more, because they wanted to help, not 'teach me a lesson'.

Calling me defending myself a tantrum is cute. But that's your shtick i guess. Everything I do is wrong, and you're always right.
It seems the old crotchety experts are as egocentric as the 'millenials'.

And as i said to Bob after his last comment, in not so many words; please just go away and stop adding to this now piece of garbage thread.

580bob

as fu just said IT IS A GARBAGE THREAD thanks to him and his hot head he is much too lost in my eyes and deserves no more help he spends more time dissing people than hunting for real answers so maybe you should just be gone

Grady

No one "intentionally" withheld any information from you and you never even bothered to look - you already admitted it. Why should you "waste your time" when you could waste someone else's, right? I googled it and it popped right up first time - free.
aahhh come on somebodys bound ot have a PDF of that thing kicking around

Why do you persist in making up bull**** excuses for things that are painfully obvious? You probably haven't noticed because you never bothered to read any other threads but people here are generally polite and helpful to each other. I have an idea. Since an apology is out of the question because you think you are the victim here, why not try your next post under a different user name that is less indicative of your personality and use this thread as a learning experience. See if you don't get a better result. Pretend someone taught you manners. I learned a long time ago that nothin is for nothin - even if it's free - so if you come here for an answer to something you don't know, why not come here and share some of your expertise to those who don't know what you do? - if it isn't too much of a waste of your time.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I just came across this thread, and have read the bulk of it and frankly I'm astonished at the behavior in this thread. I'm not going to name any names, but rather I'm going to put it out to everybody within ear shot of me who reads this, we WILL treat each and every member on HEF with respect. And if anyone doesn't agree with that then I'll simply go to my toolbox and get out my ban hammer and use it without warning or recourse. Capisce?