• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

O God no brakes! helllpp

580bob

hey grady just let him carry on in his own world we tried I have bought many manuals but guys today don't want to spend a dime on them and want all our years of experience but when we say something they don't like or clem says something else he does like we don't know nothing 90 wt on linings is 90 wt on linings seen that hundred of times no matter what the dirt fairy says

Grady

580bob, when he finally figures out what a thrust washer is, what preload is, and what those shims are for, he will thank you - or he will ask about how to replace the ring and pinion gears, etc.

fu580ck

holy **** bob and grady... wtf are you guys on about??? I told u guys i bought new parts! im replacing the oil soaked linings, the leaking seals, and was simply looking for a service manual...
im spending the money on the hardware. but WHY would i buy a service manual without seeing if i could get one for free first...
you guys wanna be hard asses, fine. But if you want to be helpful, which is what i came here for, all im looking for is advice not found in the service manual, or a human explanation that a manual lacks

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
yup going to do the seals as well. how do i determine what size shim to use?
DO NOT CHANGE SHIMS!!! Your preload will not change as long as you don't get shims mixed up. The seals in difflock shaft are a pain but you can change them if you have a o-ring hook to grab them, and then use a socket to put them back in, I say them because on the old machines there are two of them. If you can't get them to come out you will have to remove stub shaft which means you will have to remove the bull gear on that side.

fu580ck

DO NOT CHANGE SHIMS!!! Your preload will not change as long as you don't get shims mixed up. The seals in difflock shaft are a pain but you can change them if you have a o-ring hook to grab them, and then use a socket to put them back in, I say them because on the old machines there are two of them. If you can't get them to come out you will have to remove stub shaft which means you will have to remove the bull gear on that side.

Yea after reading through the service manual (thanks tinkerer!) i gathered shims dont need to be changed.

What's holding me up now is the splined disc on the left side wont come off the side gear. tried heat, tried pb blast. chipped away the lining to get behind it but im prying so hard im scared im bending the damn thing. havent tried a gear puller yet. doubt ill have the clearance for it.

Hobbytime

Yea after reading through the service manual (thanks tinkerer!) i gathered shims dont need to be changed.

What's holding me up now is the splined disc on the left side wont come off the side gear. tried heat, tried pb blast. chipped away the lining to get behind it but im prying so hard im scared im bending the damn thing. havent tried a gear puller yet. doubt ill have the clearance for it.
and no service manual will help with that . But the years of experience from the guys you just dissed would have...

fu580ck

and no service manual will help with that . But the years of experience from the guys you just dissed would have...

You're right, defending myself once they decided i was ignoring their advice (which i wasn't) and didn't have any idea what i'm doing (which i do) was a lost cause.
If they're so thin skinned that calling them hard asses (which they obviously were) hurt their snowflake feelings, and them dissing me doesn't count, well then screw it.
And if you want to join the ranks of not contributing and just falsely scolding me, i don't think i want your 'advice' either.
Christ just trying to fix my backhoe... not get trolled

Hobbytime

You're right, defending myself once they decided i was ignoring their advice (which i wasn't) and didn't have any idea what i'm doing (which i do) was a lost cause.
If they're so thin skinned that calling them hard asses (which they obviously were) hurt their snowflake feelings, and them dissing me doesn't count, well then screw it.
And if you want to join the ranks of not contributing and just falsely scolding me, i don't think i want your 'advice' either.
Christ just trying to fix my backhoe... not get trolled[/QUOTE
sounds like your the snowflake that got his undies in a bunch and started the name calling..heres some advise..go get the manual for the backhoe..;)

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
The best way I've found to get the disc assembly off the shaft when it's stuck is to spray the splines with penetrating oil and let it set for a bit then use pry bars to get behind it. You may have to use a hammer to drive pry bars in but damage will be slight. I hope this helps a bit anyway.

franklin2

Is it the Case tractors were you have to be careful when you start messing with the rearend and start taking things apart? Am I right in saying on one of these tractors you guys were locking the brakes on one side to hold things is position while you took the other side apart? I think there is a big thread on it somewhere in here.

Grady

That's right Franklin, I tried to tell him that early on but that would have involved some effort on his part. If I was too broke or too cheap to buy a service manual, I'd probably be too lazy or too dumb to google something like Case 580CK service repair manual PDF where you can download one for free. I'd just want everyone to do it for me and I'd insult anyone who dared to question my approach and take offense when they recognize the obvious.
I like to help people, too, but I like to see some kind of effort on their part. Short of that, I'm content to let nature take it's course.

Tinkerer

This thread appears to be going the way of the famous "D6 No Oil Pressure" thread that went to 50+ pages ...........
Unfortunately it is very similar,Nige.
At least there isn't an incompetent dealer involved.
Namecalling, assumptions and accusations. Good Grief !! There is no need for any of that on a forum. Just my opinion.

580bob

seems like the new breed I try to explain what to look for grady tries to help and we are snowflakes ahh the new millennials please come and fix it for poor old me waa waa !!

showrguy

seems like the new breed I try to explain what to look for grady tries to help and we are snowflakes ahh the new millennials please come and fix it for poor old me waa waa !!
I was having fun following this thread, thanks to all who are/were involved, made me laugh many times..

Tinkerer

I was having fun following this thread, thanks to all who are/were involved, made me laugh many times..
I wish I could say the same, but for me it is a sad thing to see this on HEF.
We lost one of the HEF's most knowledgeable members (tctractors) in the D6c cat loss of oil pressure thread when the name calling and bullying started.

showrguy

I wish I could say the same, but for me it is a sad thing to see this on HEF.
We lost one of the HEF's most knowledgeable members (tctractors) in the D6c cat loss of oil pressure thread when the name calling and bullying started.
Sorry to hear that, I read a lot of his helpful posts since signing up here..
Hope I did'nt ruffle any feathers with my last post ??